Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax oil temperature light reads" hot"

terry

about a year ago i was looking to buy a power max.i now have two of them.one is being restored as i write.the other is a pretty nice original,that will be cosmetically redone in the spring. when looking i ran onto a guy who said after about 3 hours of mowing the idiot ight faintly glowed red.--well after i got my low time machine i ran onto the same thing.i thought maybe i was mowing in too high of gear.,next i hookd up the tiller48".after two rounds in our horse arena,the transmission was smoking.i checked the oil level,it was down 1/2 qt which i promptly filed up.the smoking stopped.well i switched everything to mobil one synthetic.both the engine and hydro unit,along with new oil filters,and drained them completely according to the owners books.also the syn. oil is compatible with dextron,which the manuel says is okay,along with type "f" my question: is this a symptom of the 9020's?or is it something to disregard?--i haven;t got the other one running yet to see if it too does this.the fluid when drained did not seem or smell "burnt"thanks,terry email: tag1@mfi.net after 1 hour of mowing it now reads bright red "hot".

Terry I also have two Power'Max Tractors, which I bought about two/three years ago. Before using them I changed the filters and fluid. I have used these 9020's with the mower decks, a 12" plow, and the 60" tiller. I have never seen the high temp lights come on. I believe the owners manual recommmends keeping the engine at high RPMs when using attachments which should reduce over heating of the hydrostat. Sorry that I can not offer more help. I'm sure that other members will have a solution to this problem. Ben