Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 6216 Variator Problems

RlaCroix

Hello tractor people. I have a 6216 and having problems with the tractor slowing down when under load. You can check the variator leveler and it will not be in the full up position, It will be about mid way. I have changed both drive belts and have cleaned and inspected the variator pulley. Is it possible that the one piece front engine pulley is worn or sprunge? As winter approaches I am sceptacle that the unit will slow down when use to plow snow. Also I have checked for oil leaks and found none. If anyone has any feed back it would be appreciated?

Hi Ron Welcome to the club. Where are you from? Do you have an operators manual if not you can download one at this site. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start[/url] And enter this number 1690695. Their are 2 manuals available 6200 series operators and 6200 series parts manuals. Down load the manuals and save to your computer. Their are a number of things that can cause this and the operators manual explains them and how to correct. Variator Pulley needs lubrication. Variator clutch adjustment. Variator spring adjustment. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Hi, Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy it. Regarding the 6200, a very common problem is the variator pulley. The hub often gets rusty and crudy, then the center flange doesn't move like it should. The variator flanges will unscrew from the hub and you can take it apart and clean it. We made a wrench with a piece of flat bar stock about 2 ft long and drilled it and installed 2 allen head cap screws in the holes. The heads of these screws fit in the holes in the flange and will disassemble it. I believe this is the same variator pulley that John Deere used. One other thing. On the early series 16 hp tractors I don't remember the 169xxx number, There is a serial number break on which belts it takes. So be SURE to take both the model AND serial number with you when you try to buy belts. This note is in the parts books, but is easy to miss. Getting the wrong belts just ceates a nighmare. YOur tractor could have the wrong belts on. Good luck, and as I said WELCOME. Al Eden

Hello, As the happy owner and abuser of a 6216 I can advise that what you are describing is NORMAL. The variator assembly is a load sensing variable transmission simmilar to the torque converter system on a snowmobile. When the tractor is running up hill, or is pushing or pulling a load, the additional tension in the rear belt causes the variator sheve to work against the return spring on the clutch pedal. When I am plowing dirt or gravel, I can clearly see the clutch pedal rise and fall as the variator adjusts to the changing load. The variator lever just limits how far the swinging arm can travel back, same thing as holding the clutch pedal down part way. With the tractor shut off and the clutch pedal engaged, you can push down on the varitor lever and see the clutch pedal move. The best check of your belts and such is to chain the tractor to a tree at the rear hitch and see if it can spin the tires in 3rd gear. If it can, then you are ready for winter. Don't hesitate to ask more questions, because I rarely get to post answers since I do not have a "mainstream" simple tractor.

By mainstream I'm referring to anything with a bevel gearbox in the middle. Please pardon me if it came off sounding like anything other than a "simple comment". It's just been kinda slow for 6200 series questions lately.

I got to use a 6200 series hydro for the first time last weekend -- my 84-year old neighbor was feeling a bit under the weather, so I mowed his lawn and picked up his leaves. It's a nice machine -- a few things really stood out. First the positives: 1. That twin is MUCH quieter than the Briggs single-cylinders -- but the hydro whine is much more noticeable on it... 2. The ride is much more comfortable than the old Landlord/B-series -- may be due to the wider tires, front and rear. 3. The turning radius seems noticeably shorter. Now the things I didn't necessarily care for: 1. The high seating position makes the whole tractor seem more "top-heavy" and that combined with the safety switch under the seat makes me wonder if it is as stable on side-slopes. I couldn't sit half out of the seat to shift my weight to the uphill side without the engine cutting out.... With it's WIDE rear tires, I never came close to getting in trouble (I don't so, any way) but I just didn't feel quite as "safe".... 2. Even with the wider rear tires and rear wheel weights, it didn't seem to have the traction that I'm used to... this is probably a factor of total weight and tread contact area as much as anything. 3. The location of the hydro control down between my legs kept me driving with one hand at almost all times. I'm used to just dropping the right hand over to the hydro control to make a change, then back to the steering wheel. I think I'd have much preferred a foot control, or a hand control closer to the steering wheel. 4. His twin-bagger (with turbo) fills up MUCH faster than my old high-profile cart, especially when you're bagging leaves. It also doesn't chop the leaves up (reducing them) nearly as much.... Bottom line: A very nice lighter lawn/garden tractor, but I'm still not ready to give up my oldies.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent, The newer tractors do tip over easier than the old B-1's. The higher CG and seat, as you mentioned, all combine to make them more top heavy. I am still not as comfortable on my Sovereign as I am on the B-1. And, for Dutch, the running boards combined with the increased height on the Sovereign prevent sticking a leg out to catch the tractor when it starts to go over. Traction is OK on the newer units. It is just easier to shift your weight on the old FDT's. The shorter turning radius would be nice. Otherwise, I prefer my tractors.

Roy