Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 Hub Assy.

mountainwayne

Wayne, Are you talking about the front wheel hub? If so, and if you can't pop out and replace the bearings, you might try to find a similar trailer hub. I think this hub is very much the same as some snowmobile trailer hubs. Might try www.northerntool.com. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

Thanks for the tip Paul,I'm new at Tractors and the help is appreciated. It is the front hub. I'll check with Northern Tool in the morning. Wayne

Yeah........ Yeah........ 'Dats da ticket!' With a powermax, you REALLY need to understand what resourceful is! The bearings are trailer hub brgs, I got some at Autozone. Good Luck! JP

Paul, You mentioned "if you can't pop them out". What would cause the bearings to become stuck inside the hub? How would you get the hub off to replace it if the bearings won't come out? Is it the ole hammer trick?

I think the prefered method for exerting force on things like bearings and shafts is an arbor press or a hydraulic press if the part can be removed, a three or four arm gear puller if it can't. These will apply the force more evenly and gradually than the hammer. The use of heat(propane or oxy-accetylene torch) can also help but you need to be mindful of things like nylon bushings, tempered shafts, or other heat critical components. Sometimes you can preload the tension with a puller, then a sharp blow with a mallet or soft faced hammer will free it up. Rust, paint, dried grease and dirt can cause problems. When I took the lift shaft apart on my 2012 project, it was so bad that I had to heat the whole end, including the shaft itself, to cherry red in order to get it apart. At an incandescent heat the steel is in a plastic state and it's easy to deform critical tolerance areas like the keyways. One trick is to wrap a wet rag around the shaft to keep it cooler and limit it's thermal expansion, letting the outer part "grow' enough to give some clearance. If you don't want to take the heat up that far, just heat and spray with penetrating oil repeatedly. As the parts cool the oil will be drawn into the gap by the contraction of the air/vaporized oil that's been heated and pushed out. These are just a few tricks that you may find useful, depending on what it is you're taking apart.

Gretsch, The hub is like a typical trailer hub with taper roller bearings held in place by the spindle nut. Remove the nut and the wheel should come off unless the inner race is frozen to the spindle. Usually it's more a case of the outer race being frozen to the hub. I don't have a hydraulic press, so I use a piece of pipe or a socket to tap out the bearing races (may be crude, but it works). Like Kirk says heating and penetrating oil helps a lot.

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian