Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord Steering......

RonCThompson

What are most of you folks doing to overhaul the steering sector assemblies in the older Landlord type tractors? The sector gears seem intact, but all the bushings/guides are worn beyond repair. Anyone had any luck with a good source for getting parts/overhaul kits or whatever for steering? Front axle components are ok. Mine is a '64 Landlord 101 #990351 Thanks, Ron

Ron, I would suggest you start using the powerful search features in the club's talking tractors forum. Many folks have commented on mods/improvements in the front axel/steering system for these venerable tractors. Some of the "show stopper" replacement parts are still available from Simplicity. Tom(PK)

The Torrington J-1210 bearings were about $5 each from my local dealer, you may find them cheaper from other sources like a local electric motor repair shop or some of our sponsors like Sandy Lake Implements. Press the old ones out and then clean (and paint if you're going to) the parts before pressing the new bearings in. If you look through my post on the "Frame up Restoration 2012" you'll see steering parts and a bit more....

Aside from anything else, I always replace the bearings #154258. They are inexpensive (under $4). If you need any, I have genuine Simplicity OEM for $2.75 each.