Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Different Engines: Good Points/Bad Points?

I was wondering if there is a source somewhere that contains subjective/objective opinions about the various engines that have been used in Simp/Allis tractors over the years?

Warren. Being objective about the different engines used is somewhat difficult. I think you will find Brand Loyality to have some bias on what different people think of the engines used. I prefer the Kohler engines myself as I have found them to be of good quailty and give long life. The K series as well as the Briggs Cast Iron engines are no longer made in the USA due to regulations inposed by the clean air act. However parts for these engines are readly avaiable and can be got by any dealer. The best way to get detailed information is to study the spec sheets for each engine you are thinking of. I am sure any engine used in the AC/Simplicity line are of good value as most have lasted for several years.

Warren. Being objective about the different engines used is somewhat difficult. I think you will find Brand Loyality to have some bias on what different people think of the engines used. I prefer the Kohler engines myself as I have found them to be of good quailty and give long life. The K series as well as the Briggs Cast Iron engines are no longer made in the USA due to regulations inposed by the clean air act. However parts for these engines are readly avaiable and can be got by any dealer. The best way to get detailed information is to study the spec sheets for each engine you are thinking of. I am sure any engine used in the AC/Simplicity line are of good value as most have lasted for several years.

The external coil on the Kohler certainly makes its replacement a lot easier and the same with the starter/generator systems. Earlier Cub Cadets used them both......whoops! Well they never cut as well anyway. It is good to have all components replaceable without engine removal. :)