Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Locked up Allis Chalmers B112

bosied

I have AC Model B112 which has locked up under load. Cannot crank the engine. This happened once before and it was simple matter to free the engine which then started right up. Not this time. I suspect the transmission, but who has a suggestion?

Reinhard Will the engine crank over with the clutch disengaged? If it will it is in your transmission it is locked in 2 gears. The shift lever can be in neutral and still be locked in gear. If it won't turn over with the clutch disengaged it is in the engine. Is the belt on the starter/generator tight? Have you checked the oil level? If it locked up while you were running it, it might have gotten hot and seized up. This could be caused by being low on oil or the cooling fins clogged. You can download an operators and parts manual at this site type in this MFG#990434 [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start[/url] This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I have seen bearings go out of the starter/generator, causing it to sieze up. If the belt is tight, that can give the illusion of a siezed engine. Pat

Not having a manual or a local contact who knows this machine, I'm confused on several points: 1 There is an idler pulley on the variable speed mechanism's wide belt and this idler relaxes tension on that belt when the foot pedal is depressed. I assume this is the clutch you're speaking of. 2 Of course there might be a centrifugal clutch buried inside the housing for the bevel gears, but then I don't think you would have questioned whether the clutch was engaged when the lock-up occurs (since it would always be disengaged with no engine RPMs). Am I missing something? 3 Perhaps there is an auto type clutch with plates and throw out bearing buried in one of the gear housings, but I don't spot any linkage from the foot pedal to the rear gear case and can't see what's hidden by the tractor frame where the foreward (bevel) gear case is located. 4 When the rear gear case is shifted into either reverse or any of the three forward gears, the tractor drive wheels are locked up. When none of these gears is engaged the drive wheels are free to rotate. 5 As I write this I'm convincing myself that there must be a true clutch (not just idler pulleys), and it must be between the bevel gear set and the drive wheel transmission. If memory serves, the rototiller power pulley rotates regardless whether the foot pedal is depressed, hence the conclusion that alleged clutch is aft of bevel gear. 6 My speculation is that the foot pedal controls both the brake and the clutch and that the parking brake lever only locks the brake without disengaging the clutch. 7 To answer your questions: A. Will the engine crank over with the clutch disengaged? I can't find any way to crank the engine, but I'm confused about disengaging the clutch. B. Is the belt on the starter/generator tight? I have tightened it and dressed the belt. It still slips and I cannot crank the engine by hand with a wrench on the forward end of the crankshaft. C. Have you checked the oil level? I checked the engine oil level when I first got the machine; it was topped up. I checked it again after the earlier instance of lock up; it was still topped up, but I chose to drain and refill at that time. I have not checked the gear boxes for lube level. D. If it locked up while you were running it, it might have gotten hot and seized up. Yes, it was running. The engine did not seem to be laboring or losing power prior to the lock up - the lock up occured in an instant with only a momentary squeal as it died as if hit on the head with a sledge. E. You can download an operators and parts manual at this site type in this MFG#990434. Thanks much for this suggestion. I've tried several times to download the PDF, but it stalls in mid transmission each time. Will keep trying until I get it. Thanks again for all your help. Reinhard Siedenburg in Escondido, CA.
quote:
Originally posted by UCD: Reinhard Will the engine crank over with the clutch disengaged? If it will it is in your transmission it is locked in 2 gears. The shift lever can be in neutral and still be locked in gear. If it won't turn over with the clutch disengaged it is in the engine. Is the belt on the starter/generator tight? Have you checked the oil level? If it locked up while you were running it, it might have gotten hot and seized up. This could be caused by being low on oil or the cooling fins clogged. You can download an operators and parts manual at this site type in this MFG#990434 [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start[/url] This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Hi Pat, Thanks for your note. Wish it were so simple. The little old starter/generator cranks like crazy in spite of tight belt and some belt dressing. But it just can't turn the engine. So far I'm inclined to blame the bevel gear box, but the manual I ordered from yesterdaystractors 5 weeks ago hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure how the drive train is set up and I don't want just jump in and start tearing things apart blindly. Appreciate your help. Thanks Reinhard Siedenburg in Escondido, CA
quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick: I have seen bearings go out of the starter/generator, causing it to sieze up. If the belt is tight, that can give the illusion of a siezed engine. Pat

Hi RonT, Thanks for your input. I'm inclined to agree that I've got a bevel gear box problem. You can check my long winded reply to UCD to see why I'm blaming the bevel gear box. Would you comment on my logic there? If you think my symptoms mean bevel gear problems can you offer any suggestions how to go from here: how to get at the gear case (I assume I've got to pull the engine first). Where to get parts. What special tools are needed, etc. Thanks again Reinhard Siedenburg in Escondido, CA
quote:
Originally posted by RonT: Check the bevel gear box also. Even with the clutch in if the box is locked up it won't turn over. Ron Thomas #3

It's not a difficult job to remove the bolts connecting the engine to the driveshaft. That would help to isolate the problem. It sounds like you need to do that anyway to replace the starter/generator belt. It must be worn quite badly if the starter will spin with a tight belt. Pat

Reinhard Disconnect the shaft to the bevel gear box and then see if the engine will turn over. I now believe as Ron suggested that it might be in the gear box. You can also download Bseries service manual and a large frame repair manual. I Didn't save the links but some of the other members might be able to help you. This might help though. Removal of Bevel Gear Box This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Reinhard, Here's the link for the B Series Service Manual. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A.pdf And here's the one for Large Frame Tractors. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_973_01_SV_SMA.pdf Greg

Reinhard There ia a B series Service manual on EBAY right now [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2072941265[/url] There is allso a large frame service manual [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2072990749[/url] This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD