Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyRotten

Mower blades

JohnnyRotten
I've searched the site and couldn't find a good answer, so it's time to tap the knowlegde and experience of this club. I have a B112 with a 48" deck I use to pull a homemade vac/shreader. Does a real good cleanup job most of the time (beats the heck out of raking and hualing). Problem is, I can't always get out there at the best times and wind up doing it when the leaves are damp. Do you guys know which mower blades give the most up lift? I don't use this machine for mowing so that's not a concern. I was even thinking of making fan blades out of steel. What do you guys think? John

papamerkle
I have a 96 Landlord and a 98 Broadmoor with a multching attachment on each. Both do a great job when leaves are dry and a decent job when leaves are damp. When leaves are damp I need to go over leaves 2 or 3 times to chop them up. Sometimes I will use a rake or leaf blower to turn leaves over to dry. I found the best time to do leaves is when the temp is below freezing. My neighbor would cover the mower deck openning to multch his leaves. He made sure the blades were sharp. It did a good job when leaves were dry. My multching blades do have 2 times the cutting edge than my regular blades do. They do have more upswept on the back edge.