Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

2012 Tires

thedaddycat
I looked up the 2012 in the Simplicity section of the site, trying to find a good shot of the front tires. The rears are shown fairly clearly but the fronts are kind of hard to make out. These are the rear tires that are from my 2012, Goodyears with the tread pattern that matches the pics from the Simplicity literature. This is the pic I posted last night of an Armstrong off the 3310 on the right and an Arco from the parts Landlord on the left. These are what's on the Putt-Putt, a Cheng Shin on the left side of the pic and a Firestone on the right. The treads on these two match each other pretty closely. Here is a Schenuit on the left and a Carlisle on the right. These Goodyears are on the Jake. From what I can make out, these are the best match to those shown in the literature. Are these the right tires to use for the restoration(OEM), or do I need to find something else? Since it's a wet cold nasty day I'm not going to be doing the tires today either. Guess I'll get out the board games and laze away the afternoon with the kids.......

SmilinSam
Most of the early tractors I have dredged up have had Schenuit front tires. Not sure if they were replacements or not, but I suspect so since the rears all have been Good years.I imagine the original fronts would have been from the same manufacturer as the rears but don't kow for sure. Those Board Game afternoons are starting to sound better all the time here too. Slowly but progressively gettin colder here all the time. Makes outside work no fun..

CleanBee
Hi Kirk, Greg is correct, the wider 6.5 inch was used stock on the later 12 horse models. These wider tires were made by Good Year and look exactly as Greg has linked. The 10 horse models came stock with the 4 inch wide tires. Schenuit was the original maker of these tires, the third photo down and the tire on the left is correct for the 10 horse models. An option was offered to the original purchasers to either up size their 10 hp model to the wider tires or downsize the 12 hp models to the narrower tire. This choice often depended on the uses the owner expected. Many times the wider tires were not as preferred since they turn hard and is more difficult for the wife to mow with. Later models of the 10 house switched to Good Year tires, the tread design remained exact to what the prior Scheniut tires were. I am not certain about the year they switched brands but I think it was near 1967. A side note, the very early models, like the B-1's had a tread similar to the Carlise you pictured but they were more rounded off on the edges, like balloons, they were also made by Schenuit. These might have switched to the newer tread design near 1962. All the models always used Good Year tires on the rear, the sizes differed with production years and later to horse power. Your resto is looking very good... Wish you lived closer so I could see it in person. Dan