Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HELP! 7119 Wiring

BDSchmidt

I have a 7119 that has had a Kohler Magnum 20 put in it. I have a repair manual for the engine which shows a wiring diagram, and I have a repair manual for large frame Simplicity tractors, ( Sovereign, 7000,7100 series) which has a diagram and they appear to be different. Add to that the fact that whats in the tractor doesn't readily look like either and now I'm very confused. Fact is the tractor does start, run and charge, lights work, etc but I would like it to be "right" and consistent with my manuals so if it ever needs repair/diagnosing in the future I"ll have something to go by. THe key switch is one source of confusion between the 2 manuals. Does anyone have this similar setup or have wiring diagrams that would help me out? Thanks, Brian

Brian, The magnum is electronic ignition, and does NOT need a battery to run. The KT19 that was in the tractor originally DOES NEED a battery to run. In other words the KT19 has a battery ignition system. It sounds like it works so the rectifier has not been ruined on your M20, or the elctronic ignition. First, there were 2 wires coming off from your KT19 (battery ignition 12v when the key is turned on and charging wire), so you should have a 2 prong plug on your tractor that connected the tractor to the engine (the M20 has 3 wires - charging, ignition ground, oil sentry light). Your ignition switch needs to be the grounding type, ground the igniton wire and the M20 stops, open the wire and you can start the engine. The second wire connects to the battery for charging it, the third is to connect to a oil light. If there is a 3 prong plug on your M20, the center wire is the ignition wire. Connect that to your GROUNDING ignition switch. The other wire coming from the flywheel shroud is the charging wire - that gets connected to your battery for charging it. On the 2 prong plug from your tactor this would be the wire that is yellow or closest to the retainer clip. The starting circuits are the same. So basically take the 7119 wiring diagram and make it a grounding ignition and you should have it. But this sounds like you did not do the work so the wiring could be a "rats nest". I have a M20 in a 917 pulling tractor, I just changed the ignition switch, and have a couple of short wires running between the two plugs, nice and clean. I have not hooked up the oil light. Good Luck! Mike S.

Mike , THanks for your input. A rats nest is a good description as it doesn't resemble anything I can find in documentation. I've started over and with the help of a dealer experienced in repowering using this engine, I hope to get it back to a recognizable condition. He has some kind of relay that deals with the difference in the 2 kinds of ignition, and mates the original 7119 wiring with that which is required for the Magnum 20. THanks again! Brian