Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

An afternoon's work with the Landlord

JDSnyder

I had about a 12 ton load of roadbase dumped in my alley to spread on my driveway. The dumptruck couldn't get into the driveway and the city doesn't really care for the pile in their alley. So the wife and I spent this afternoon shoveling into the dumpcart behind the Simplicity, then I would haul the load and dump at various places in the drive, many, many loads and we aren't done yet. Just as it got too dark to really see well, I unhooked the cart, turned on the lights and plowed through the small piles with the belly grader blade, levelling them all out and spreading the gravel nice and smooth. I had a lot more fun than my wife did! She's a good woman. She didn't begrudge me the fun nor the smile on my face!

JD: Congratulations on the Landlord (and the wife!). How about some pics? I am always fascinated by the weight of things, and I cannot picture, in my mind, what 12 ton of stone would look like. I bet it is an impressive display of Landlord power, no? Peter

Jobs like that are what make the Johnny Bucket worth every cent, especially if you've ever twisted or sprained your back. Which Landlord do you have?

I have had my eye on a Johnny Bucket for some time. It would have been nice to eliminate the shovelling. but it would have been a lot of trips carrying quite a distance. The trailer carried more, and the trip on the tractor let us rest in between shovelling sessions. I would send pictures, but I don't have a digital camera, and by the time I get the roll shot and remember to take it for developing, then pick it up, it's old news. I estimated 12 tons of road base, but really is was a tandem dump truck load. It was a big pile. I have a 1966 Landlord 101 with a manual lift. There are pictures of it in the gallery. [http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/mountain_magic.htm]