Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

What is it?

thedaddycat
This little compressor is chained to the old Briggs with bicycle sprockets it looks like. The name plate for the compressor says "Binks Mfg. Chicago" and "Type SP 1/4" but I think the engine has been a home adaptation. I can't find anything on the engine except "22" cast into the block. Is this anyting like the PTO driven compressor offered at one time? With the pulley drive I'm sure it can be adapted to work with the tiller drive. Does anyone have an interest in the old Briggs engine?

Karl_Brandt
This Briggs & Stratton engine is a model 5S which is a 1 horse power or a model 6S which was a 1 1/2 hp. The engine model tag was on a tin cover around the cylinder fins on the back of the engine.This engine was made in the late 1940's or early 1950's. I have several of these engines, one on a Planet Jr Tuffty two wheel walking tractor. Karl