Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shipping a attachment

BrownA

I know there has been stuff posted on shipping. Forward Air seems to be pretty decent. The only thing with them is they want it in a box. A pallet won't do. Does anyone have a suggestions for a trucking company that can pick up in Wisconsin on a pallet and ship to Boston ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Al

Al, I use www.freightquote.com and it has been very easy to use. What works best for me is to ship from terminal to terminal. That way you don't pay the residential and lift gate charges. 1. Have who your shipping to get a freight terminal name address close to him for you. 2. Get a quote shipping from your address to the destination terminal address. 3. Once you have selected a shipper, see if that shipper has a terminal close to you. Might take a few trys. 4. Set up shipping from terminal to terminal and put a note for the destination terminal to call the package reciever to pick up. 5. Drop off your package at the terminal and give them the paperwork. They usualy have strong guys to help lift it onto the dock. Then a week later, freightquote will send you a bill. Good luck, John

I receive chemicals on pallets. The chemicals are in 5 gallon pails with plastic wrap holding the buckets on the pallet. No box. What I have done is make a box using a pallet as a base and ship the empty box to the person sending the item. They go to the terminal open the box which I've screwed together and put the item in the box. Shipping the empty box is usually cheap to do. Don't use thick plywood, 1/4 inch on the sides is fine with 4-2x4 blocks at the 4 corners (vertical). Use 1/2 inch on the lid.

Where i work they ship major manufacturing lines to Singapore and Ireland and Porto Rico. They use forwardair because there is no weight restriction. The box is built up on major pallets ( heavy timbers) But the basic pricipal is the same, room for forks and the structure needs to be able to support the load. frame the sides and sheet them with light 3/8 cdx 1/4 may be to flimzy. Airnailers are handy for this. If you try to use just corner wedges the structure may not make it intact. Here they use lag bolts and airnailers and then they wrap it in plastic. It seems like a lot of work but The items being shipped will be in the same shape as when they were properly crated. The unit being crated should be lag bolted to the pallet. .02 Leroy

The pallet is where the strength is needed. Strap the attachment to the pallet and the sides don't restrain the attachment. You can include the straps in the box you make. Make the box too heavy you pay by the hundred-weight. There is no weight limit but you pay for the weight being carried in the box plus the box weight. They will weigh the box and contents at the terminal to determine shipping costs. If the box is nailed shut the guy on the other end won't be able to open it or he won't want to. When I go to the local terminal you wouldn't believe how things are shipped. Anyway this is how I do it and it works.