Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modifying axel shaft on a Model 1451 Snow-Away Sno

andy

I can not find replacement tires and rims for my 1966 Snow-Away snow thrower. I am going to try to purchase similar tires from Toro, Ariens, etc. and then turn the ends of the shaft (1 1/8 dia. to 3/4 dia.) to fit. Has any one out there tried this? One of the rims will also have to drilled to the correct bolt hole circle on the side that drives the wheels. Any other suggestions???

Does this snow thrower have the type of wheels like on a high wheel mower? If so, the tires on the rear of a pedal tractor are similar in size, maybe they could work?

Mike I do not know what size tires you are looking for. You might try Miller Tire as they have a big selection of tires and wheels. You can contact them at www.millertire.com Phone # 800-621-1955 Hope this helps Larry

The easiest thing would be to find a "donar" but you may be able to lengthen the axles and mount some pneumatic industrial type tires by drilling and bolting them through the hub. Take a tire with you to an industrial supplier such as Grainger and see if they might be able to come up with something. You would have to trade the quick release hub for "full time" traction but at least you would have something. Try not to damage the original axle in case the original type tires are found in the future, then you could just transfer them back.