Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Converting verticle engine to horiz?

KohlerMan

I just got a Kawasaki liquid cooled 18 HP vertical engine, model FD590V. A friend just got a new JD mower and it rolled of his truck on the freeway and what a mess! So I got it for $150. It does not have The radiator or any covers, just the bare engine. Can I Change the oil pickup inside and the carburetor and expect it to last running on its side? I would be most worried about the bearings that used to be submersed in the oil, does Kawasaki have pressure lube on the bottom bearings, especially the camshaft? or do they suppose that since it runs in oil all the time that it does not need it. Lawrence Oops. I just noticed I was logged on in my brothers name! I am really LBS.

Lawrence I would think the best thing would be to get in touch with Kawasaki. My guess would be no. I would think that the oil pickup tube would be in the wrong place . But I don't know anything so go from there. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Location of pickup tube does not matter, I can do anything, mostly. I wonder if oil would get to the cylinders? I guess I'll see if any one at kawasaki will tell me anything besides "Buy this one." Boy what a great sovereign engine! Thanks Lawrence

• 3 weeks later...
Well... I tried it. And it works great. I talked to 3 small engine guys and they all said to look at it and try it. I dont think it will have any oiling problems after looking at it. I used 1/2" copper tube to change the pickup and made a wooden 90 degree elbow for the carb and coated it with epoxy. Now for a small radiator instead of the 5 gallon bucket. Purrs like a CAT! well maybe not, but real close. Lawrence

Lawewnce, interesting experment. When I was akid I made a carb adaptor for a cliton engine dad picked up on a farm sale so I could put a briggs carb on it. It was still running on a walkbehind sickle mower when I left home. Would a heater core work as a small radiator??MPH

• 5 months later...
check around, the radiator your looking for would be out of a snowmobile or motorcycle and they usually still have a 12 volt fan attached. If you get in real trouble I have one but I havent checked it out good yet.

you tryed something I thought about before. I never got arround to trying it. glad to know it works.