Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loose magnets on Onan flywheel

JimS

I have read several items about problems with loose magnets on Onan flywheels.Can someone describe this problem in more detail and how to check for this condition? Is it something that can be repaired? Thanks in advance for the help!

Normally the magnet ring inside the flywheel wont come loose unless the stator comes loose first. The flywheel cannot be repaired. It must be replaced and is sold as a complete balanced assembly. Last time I checked the cost of a new flywheel was $790. You are better off finding another motor to get one from or replacing your onan with one of SEW's Honda or Briggs kits. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

Jim, The stator shouldn't come loose either, but I have heard of it happening and it did happen to a 4041 of mine before I bought it. That's why I got the tractor for $400. If you have your engine out for any reason, you can pull the rear shroud and the flywheel, clean things up, and re-fasten the stator to the timing cover using locktite on the screws. Then, if you're a religious man, pray that it never happens to you. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian