Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Little Backhoes

powermax_paul

Would there be enough interest in a small backhoe for 12-16 HP garden tractors? For planting trees, backyard ponds, burying that beloved pet etc. I'm thinking I could come up with a design that would cost under $800 to build. Plan cost could range from $40-$50. Could probably get down to 3'6" or 4' digging depth. Weight would be 350-400#. If there's enough interest, I'd need someone locally with a tractor and willing to buy the parts for a prototype. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

Paul, I've been thinking about one for my Case 444, its already set up with hydraulics. I'm not set up for long metal cuts, (bandsaw cuts). Will they be necessary. Would your plans include the design for outrigger assemblies? ....thanks

Art, There would have to be outriggers/stabilizers, but I was thinking of something manually operated to save on expense. As far as cuts are concerned, all of the custs for my Powermax backhoe were made with either a cutoff saw, holesaw, or a sawzall. Actually I think I should have posted this in talking tractors instead of here in the coffee shop. Can the powers that be, move it? Paul

Hey if I had the money right now Paul you could use my Landlord that I'm restoring. I've not even began to repaint yet and I don't think I will till next summer but everything else is getting a working over and replaced until then.

Woo Hoo! :) I'd definitely be interested in something like this. I only wish that I was closer to you so you could use mine as the prototype! I was talking to my wife just last night, and was telling her that all I need now is something to dig with! Rob

paul sounds good id like to have one on my ac620. right now im installing power steering and a front end loader on it. a backhoe would be really nice.if you lived closer we could use my ac620 for a prototype.we could also build it my shop i have all the tools needed to do a job like that. larry chase

Paul,, How hard would it be to make one for a hi wheel case as I have one of thoise puppies in j'yd minus a motor? Has a nice hyd pump already??,,Would be VERY close in size to powrmax tracs,just a bit shorter is all,,oh so sorry didnt see above msg abt 444!lol,,

You have my utmost attention, I'm definetly in. I was a certified welder for 17 yrs in my past life, so let me have it!! If I can, I'll help enhance the design. I can't find a front loader for my 9518, so I'll probably make one of those too. Who's got the plans??

paul i think there is a huge interest in a small backhoe for garden tractors - the biggest problem i have seen is everyone makes them to expensive - below $800 would be a great idea - most people dont have the time or money to sink into a backhoe with all the fancy stuff you see on the big ones like hydraulic stabalizers and hyd. to turn left and right - how about stabalizers that can be brought up and down with a screw crank or pins - maybe a fixed mounting so you would have to move the tractor to dig left or right - or a manual setup for that too - also a list of cheap parts that would work - some of the hyd. controls i have seen used would cost almost more than most have to spend on the whole project - cheap and simple would be good - just a thought -

quote:
Originally posted by cuda70: paul sounds good id like to have one on my ac620. right now im installing power steering and a front end loader on it. a backhoe would be really nice.if you lived closer we could use my ac620 for a prototype.we could also build it my shop i have all the tools needed to do a job like that. larry chase
Larry, I was interested in your comment about adding power steering to your 620. Could you provide more details on how you are doing this and the cost? Thanks, Jim

JIM i got i got a the parts from surplus center there phone #is 1-800-488-3407 ask for a catalog an they will send you one. i bought a VON RUDEN steering valve for $217.95 and a 4in. double acting ram for $59.95. mounted the hyd. pump above front pto i just added another pully on the front pto. moved the muffler forward 4ins if you want call me an i will gladly answer any questions you have. my phone #is 518-8428587. wish i had a camera to take pics of this project. larry chase

Larry, I already have a backhoe designed for AC 620. It is the same one I currently have on my 4041. This design will fit AC616,620,720 and Simplicity 4040/4041/9020. Material costs range from $1600 to $1800. The backhoe I'm proposing would be for smaller tractors of a more typical gardren tractor size. It probably wouldn't have hydraulic stabilizers. I had thought about using simple trailer jacks for stabilizers, but they may not be strong enough. I think just a square sleeve with a square tube inside and a series of holes to put a pin thru would work fine. You can use the backhoe to lift one side of the tractor, set the pin and then swing to the other side and set that stabilizer.

That looks like a nice unit! I see he used the intermediate link on the bucket cylinder. That gives a much better travel range on the bucket. Could be pricey and time consuming though, with a lot of parts. Would have six-pack control valve because of the stabilizers instead of four, and two extra cylinders. What do you guys think?

I checked with the guys at P.F. Engineering about a week ago. They have the loader plans available for $50 and the hoe plans are in the works but not available as of when I talked to them.

quote:
Originally posted by cuda70: paul sounds good id like to have one on my ac620. right now im installing power steering and a front end loader on it. a backhoe would be really nice.if you lived closer we could use my ac620 for a prototype.we could also build it my shop i have all the tools needed to do a job like that. larry chase
What kind/size of front loader are you installing on your tractor?aftermarket? homemade? do you have plans available?

quote:
Originally posted by bigwoods:
quote:
What kind/size of front loader are you installing on your tractor?aftermarket? homemade? do you have plans available?
dont know what kind it is found it on a big bolens its a 42ins bucket.im using 2x2 heavy wall tubing to atache it to the frame.also put a hyd pump behind muffler an put a second pully on front clutch. just moved muffler forward a few ins.the way im doing it is so i can leave mower deck on without taking loader off. larry chase

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what I've been working on for the lawn and garden tractor backhoe. Just for a feel of size the main boom tip is about 4'9" off the ground and the boom and dipper are nominal 2-1/2" steel tube. [img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/lgthoe.jpg[/img] Still working on the assumption of manually operated stabilizers. ********************************************************************* PS: if the "50megs" server doesn't support remote linking, I think this guy better look elsewhere to sell his plans!

Paul, Drop down pinned stabalizers made with square tube would work fine. User can use the hoe to lift the rear end up on each side to set them. Have about 4 pin settings for height would be adiquate. I would be up for the prototype in a year when I have more room. This tractor hobby has me searching for acreage with outbuildings.

Dan, I think it might be easier if all of us around the Madison area combine our money and buy a big work shop with storage area :D

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
I think it might be easier if all of us around the Madison area combine our money and buy a big work shop with storage area
Why just "a big work shop with storage area"? You guys could sell your homes and form a commune.
[img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/commune.jpg[/img]