Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Acorns are driving me nuts!!!

aquick

How do you deal with acorns? I thought about getting one of those Echo Shred-n-vac blowers but my concern is that a steady diet of acorns might damage it. I could use a Vac/collector for the open part of the lawn but most of my problem is deck/patio - lots of tight nooks & crannies. My ultimate solution is to get out the chainsaw,but that wonderful woman in my life won't let me.(the same one that keeps tellin' me to clean up them acorns)

A buddy of mine went through 2 craftsman shreder vacs then bought the Echo. He is very happy with it, and it has no problems with a steady diet of acorns. Happy acorn chasing, I have nothing but oaks, and got one heck of a crop this year.

My neighbor has one of the Echo Shred-n-vac units. The acorns busted the housing and cracked the impeller. Fortunately, Home Depot replaced it free even after a year of use. After trying the Echo myself, my opinion is that acorns, small rocks, small branches, and such should be handled by a more robust vacuum/shredder unit. Happy Acorning.....DaveG

This may not be a "tractor club" type answer, but a good hand rake works well. Try one of those aluminum landscaping rakes for a quicker job.

I could use a few of those acorns. We have a young squirrel that has learned to com to the front door. When he looks through the storm door, my wife will open the door slightly and he will very gently take a nut from her hand with his front feet. He has never tried to come into the house, he just waits patiently for a nut. Even though they can be a pest, they sure can be cute little rascals. This is the third squirrel that she has trained to do this. She also has a pair of blue jays that land in the tree outside the door and squak till she gives them a nut. Lots of animals around this home. Rod H.

Angelo, Cut down dem acorn trees! Cut da big logs into lumber send da boards to me, and you can keep da little stuff for firewood. Good deal fer both of us, no? :D

You could send the diamensions of your hand rake to Herb and have him mount it on your tractor. Or, shoot the varmints that are stealing insulation outta my shop roof, cut up that acorn tree and send it to me for Christmas, here them acorn trees burn real good..MPH