Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JDreher

Success in removing oil check plug

JDreher
The oil check plug on my '95 Sunstar mower gear box was a 1/4" allen head, stripped out round. I picked up a pipe nipple extractor set at Home Depot (plumbing dept) and the 1/8" size fit perfectly in the reamed hole. I set the extractor with a hammer driven impact wrench, and slowly backed the plug out with a socket wrench. I was glad that I didn't have to drill out the plug and risk getting filings in the oil. BTW, should the oil be 85W-90 gear lube or regular oil? Thanks, John

pofarm
quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Never had a problem with the Broadmoor using a 1/2" rachet drive. Just had to make sure the rachet was all the way in the hole.
That's what I used, too. The drain plug felt soft, like age has deteriorated it or something. The square drive on the ratchet just spread the shoulders and wouldn't turn the plug at all. I was afraid to try the other until I get some replacements on hand.