Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gilson update

patrician12

Well I got my Gilson 16 hp tractor delivered on this Friday that I won on Ebay.Believe it or not its almost like brand new,not a scratch or mark.It has the same exact color scheme as an Allis Chalmers.Probably to cash in on Chalmer's good name.The tractor runs great but is somewhat strange.For a 16hp it has no tow hitch or any provision for rear implements on the back.It has snow plow and wheel weights but no brakes of any kind that I can determine. It has hydrostatic drive.I never had a tractor with hydrostatic drive and it much slower than my Chalmers or my Murray.Is this correct?It has a fan on the drive case for cooling.What type of fluid does it take?I read that it has to be changed often.True? What is very unique is the mower deck.Center rear discharge with mirror image blades.I'm told these are impossible to find,this I believe! The 16 hp briggs motor runs smooth and drive is quiet.Much quieter than my Allis or Murray.How this was achieved I don't know. Are hydrostatic drives generic like mower engines or are they unique like the frames? Keith

Hi Keith, here are some links to more info. on Gilson. The library has a book called "Chiltons Tractor Repair Manual" it contains a section devoted to Gilson. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gilsonlawntractors http://groups.yahoo.com/group/montgomerywardsgilsontractors

Keith, congradulations, I guess, hope you got it cheap. All I needed to go with the mower on my wards was a hay baler as it really left a nice winrow of grass. Does it look anything like this???? [img]/club2/attach/MPH/nic-16hpgilson.jpg [/img]

MPH

It doesn't look anything like that.It has to be mid 80's.The snow plow,wheel weights,new battery,everything except deck pulley works properly,paint is mint and the motor is hardly broken in.......$150.00.The plow has to be worth that! Keith