Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Compression Release/Starter Woes

jrichason

Hello, I'm having problems getting my 7116 to turn over. It has a 16hp Briggs that is less than two years old. When I turn the key the engine will turn over less than one revolution and then stop (like it might be stopping as the piston comes up on the compression stroke). If I try it three or four times it will eventually turn over once and then stop at the same place, judging by the keyway on the crank. I took the spark plug out and it turns over fine without any compression. The problem started as it just turning over slow the first couple of revolutions and has gradually gotten worse. When I did a search, I see that there was a similar problem reported by dlsven and a couple of people suggested that it might be either the starter or the compression release. How do I determine which one is the problem? Also, does anybody know of a manual I could buy which would tell me how to repair or replace the compression release? I have looked in my simplicity service manual, and my small engine repair manual(Chilton) and neither of them mention a compression release. Thanks a bunch for any advice. John

Hook an automotive battery charger to the battery in the start mode .The positive to the positive of the battery and negative cable to a ground on the motor itself.Weak batteries,bad voltage drops and undergauged cables are usually the problem.A Ford solenoid(1957-1985)and a heavier set of cables will turn anything.

I had the same problem with my 8hp Briggs. When I pulled the starter apart I found that one of the magnets had come loose from the case and was riding against the armature. I glued it back in and it cured the problem. If the starter bushings are dry or dirty it can cause this too. The lower brush cap bushing can get pretty gummed up with carbon dust from the brushes.

John, On the older B/S engines the compression release (easy spin) is nothing more that a bump on one of the camshaft lobes that opens the valve slightly as the piston comes up on compression to bleed some pressure off. It works at slow speeds, but has very little effect at the higher rpms. If you have too much valve clearance, this compression release will not work very well.