Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

NGK or Champion plugs? Others?

country
Hello all, my Kohler KT17 calls for Champion RBL15Y plugs. Are there better plugs available, such as NGK? If so, how do I find a cross reference so I can go to my local ATV shop (most likely to carry NGK plugs) and find some? Thanks for the help.?

pofarm
According to this site, http://www.ngkspark.com.au/spark_plug_cross_ref_chart_index3.htm , the NGK plug you need is BPR4FS. You should be able to get it at just about any auto parts store. Most carry NGK now. I don't like Champion plugs and will avoid them if it is at all possible to get another brand. I really like NGK myself.

powerking_one
Darin, Welcome to the club. You can check out this website for spark plug cross references to different brands. http://www.clubplug.net/cross.html I've had very good luck with NAPA being able to order NGK's in small quanities with good prices (~~$2.00/each). Tom(PK)

RonT
Darin, Welcome to the club. I will not use a champion plug in any thing that I own. I use only NGK or DENSO plugs. I also have had good luck with the local NAPA store. Back in my motocross days I have seen a 1/2HP increase on a dyno just by chancing the plug from a Champion to a NGK this was on a two stroke but it did make a diffrence. That is part of what has turned me away from Chumpion and I have never gave it a second thought.

papamerkle
I'm having great luck with Autolite plugs. If I run champion in my one 16 horse twinn cylinder briggs It will foul out a plug. Never the same cylinder. Autolites are cheaper than NGK. They work good in my 2 cycle motors. I had good luck with champion plugs in mid to late 70's in my hot rod. My local Napa store told me they start making champion sparkplugs in Japan starting in the late 70's.