• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UCD

• SmilinSam

• Kent

• ReedS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my lane tryin to use a snow blade is like tryin to drain a lake with a teacup...... [img]http://a0.cpimg.com/image/18/95/14511640-cc8f-020001C5-.jpg[/img] "Small" and "medium" pictured here, sorry to say I won't have "Large" ready to go this season.

Yep, I just came in from "ops checking" the Big Ten and snowblower. I just hope it is snow and not the New England slush like we can often get.... I don't want to wrestle the snowblower off and the snow/dozer on. I really miss not having the 2nd tractor operational, so I can have a blade on one and a blower on the other. Hope to start the teardown this long weekend....

Kent, Is yours a single belt blower? If so how well does it work? Any slipping of the belt when it gets snow on it? I picked up a 42" blower for the older tractors and thought about throwing it on the HB116 to play a little with....

It's a MFR# 2029938, 36" single belt, and I really like it. It handles wet stuff pretty well as long as you keep the hopper full and the RPM up -- I run with the engine wide open... I enjoy using it in the dryer stuff more than any other single thing I use the tractor for... the governor kicks it, it growls, and throws the snow 25-40 feet. It's a lot of fun as long as the wind isn't blowing it back on you. Once I broke down and bought an OEM Simplicity belt a couple years ago, I've had zero problems with belts or slippage. I was going through about one Gates green belt a year -- if not more frequently. Now I keep the cheaper Gates as a spare.... Two key adjustments: 1. Get the belt stops (fingers) about 1/16" from the front crankshaft pulley, and adjust the tension on the belt to where the engagement rod takes it barely over center, when engaged. This keeps the belt good and tight, and will even "kick back" and disengage the blower -- had this happen once when I hit a big chunk of frozen stuff in the midst of what the snowplows had packed at the end of the driveway.

Sam, The only problem I have had with the 717 with the blower on it was the front slipping around. I had 100lbs of wheel weights on the back plus chains but the front wanted to slip around for some reason. I bought the tires that they use on walk behind snowblowers with the knobby tread and used these on the front and had no more sliding back and forth and off the side of the driveway. Otherwise, them there little tractors work their tires off. Just a hint. Kris

The 2110 is all chained up ,weighed down and waiting. Ran it tonight to haul the last of the leaves off the grass.:D [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/reeds/dscn0034.jpg[/img]

Kris , those little ones work great with a blower. I use them to make paths through the yard for my wife to go to the barn to feed/water the animals.

Well, I got to deal with about 4" before coming to work. It was wet on the bottom because the ground was still warm when it started snowing. Not a single clog, even though the snow was so wet that it would often push like with a dozer blade for a while then feed a big pile into the hopper, kick the governor in, and spit it out. I'd repainted the inside of the chute, and I think that helped a lot. Wasn't using any wax or other lubricant in it either.... It was interesting driving to work after (during) the first major snowfall of the year. I saw 3 vehicles off the road in the 21 mile drive -- all three were 4WDs, two SUVs and Ranger 4WD pickup. Looks like speed was the likely cause in each case.... Seems they can't remember that their 4WDs don't stop any better than a 2WD -- but trees will stop them pretty danged fast!

Weve got 31/2 inches of dry powerdery snow, ive been able to use the blade..so far, my plan is to use blade till grounds frozen down, (gravel driveway), then put the blower on....County does the drive, i do the areas they cant put the wing out. Its my first year doing this with the soveriegn, what a powerfull little machine. Pat Rarick told me just this morning he has a heated cab, moves snow in his shirt, boy, thats livin....it was 9 degrees here this morning, so cold i had to put two froze solid deer in the closet in the utility room, wife loved that. Any of you folks have dirt driveways...how do you deal with it? blade,blower, both? Doug

Kent What people don't realize is a four-wheel drive vehicle has less front end control at speed than a two-wheel drive. The engine acts as a brake when you let off the gas. On slippery going this could cause the front wheels to slide or lock causing loss of control of front wheel steering. You can lose control faster with a front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive than with a rear wheel drive vehicle. Haveing four-wheel drive allows you to go more places under more adverse conditions but not faster on slippery or icy roads.

Doug, all my driveway is gravel, I blade til the snow won;t roll over the berm, then I put the blower on. Up here I get my snow pac pavement down in oct and its good til April so its pretty easy going. Not sure if your snow in northern mn melts away throughout the winter or not. Last year my snow fall was 9 inches so I put the blower on first, hate blowing rocks........MPH

I got my Simplicity 3416H with snow blade and Allis Chalmers B-12 with snowblower all ready to go.:DUp here there was only a dusting of snow last night when I went to work for the midnight shift. I was given a Craftsman 12hp hydro drive tractor.I replaced the steering assy(4 hour job).Also had a snowblower,wheel weights,chains.All that was missing was chain that runs the auger and the lift assy for rasing snowblower off the ground.:o) Karl

Marty, Usually, we get a good freeze down right after deer season, late Nov. but man we havent had a normal winter in four years. I turned up dry, dirt this morning,(some). Between el nino and la nina, i dont know if well ever have a real Minnesota winter again??? Sounds downright pleasant in Alaska. Ounce shes froze here, its that way till march. Doug

Marty, put the chute on this AM and did half the neighborhood. had about 4-5 inches, and mostly wet snow, but took Kent's advice and ran the RPMs up, very little clogging. I have to laugh at these people with these Toro Powershovels.............step aside and give me 2 minutes......LOL

KARL I THINK YOU SOLVED MY DILEMA When to use the blower and when to put the blade on??? Forget it just get a second tractor!!! :)

Second tractor? Why not a third, fourth, fifth?....why stop at two? I have the two above ready, but in a pinch I could field two more tractors each with a 42" blower, yet another (with a little work) sporting a 36" blower, yet still another with a 46" blade. AND....if I get the negine ordered next week I could theoretically also field a 720 with a complete winter cab and a 52" blower. One problem though......I wouldn't have enough operators....

I have a 3012 with a 36" blower that wouldn't blow a piece of dust. I have know idea why. This is my 1st winter with it. I put it on and tryed it and was lucky if the snow made past the side of the blower. :(

I'm still leafing here in Central Minn. With the wet summer we have had, the leaves have been dropping really late. No big snow in sight for the next week, so they say. I will start equipment changeover in the next few days. I have 900 ft, of gravel drive, I pack down a good base of snow first, then use the blade, then the blower. It is a must to have at least two tractors on line at any given time. Happy Holiday to all. Floydster