Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Exhaust system

taroesch

While viewing photos of members tractors I have noticed a number of them have modified exhaust systems. I would like to find out what the pros and cons are of modified exhaust systems. The exhaust pipe on the muffler of my 7016 has broken away from the muffler. So now I must chose to 1) weld it back into the muffler, 2) purchase a new muffler, or 3) build a modified exhaust system. The least expensive is to weld it back together, but is there any advantage to building a custom exhaust system?

If there's a way to quieten down the old single-cylinder Briggs, I'm still looking for it... :D I've tried 4 different muffler combinations and went back to the factory-type Nelson mufflers on both my tractors. Another consideration for the stack mufflers is if you're mowing around shrubs or bushes -- they tend to get in the way....

Yep thats right, Them low limbs will adjust your stack! The neighbor was laughing and asked when the rest of it was going to grow up.

Hi, To each his own, I personally love the looks of outside pipes. I don't make them any more because of liability. In a worst case situation if one takes a unit that has an under hood exhaust and changes it to outside and say the neighbors kid would get burned on it, it could become a liability issue. This would be less so on a tractor that originally had an external exhaust that was state of the art at that time. It is more of an issue if you are paid to do it. I realize that life is a game of chance, and you can be sued for anything rediculous or not. Not saying don't do it, just offering a thought. Same line of thought regarding safety switches if you diable them when you are in the business. Good luck, Al Eden