Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help, I Need More Traction on Asphalt.

tsteahr

Gentleman, I need some expert advice. I have a newer Broadmoor (about 7 years old) with a 36 inch single stage snow blower. I have wheel weights and chains but I still need more traction when blowing my paved driveway. My last house had a flat, oiled and stoned drive where traction was not a problem. The problem is part of my new drive is at about a 8% grade. I am considering adding the factory weight box and weight. Before I spend the money does anyone have any suggestions as to the best setup for traction on pavement? Also, should I be using the chains? They tend to scrape up the pavement a little, but I could not have moved without them. Thanks for your help, Tom Steahr in CT, digging out of 6 inches of wet stuff... Also, what tire pressures should I be using in the snow?

A good set of chains with cross chains every other link of the side chains with reinforcement bars on the cross chain links. Sometimes called corks or ice grippers. Load your tires with Window washer fluid or RV antifreeze. With wheel weights this should do it. I had a real steep drive and I could drive up it or back up it no problem.

Kenny Not that I have found unless you spin a lot and then it will scratch it some. But i think it is harder on the chains when you spin lol I have had the same set of chains for thirty years. I might have to change a few cross chains in a couple years they are getting pretty worn.

If you put any fluid in your tires, it would be worth the extra money to put tubes in them. My snow/dozer blade manual says max of 35 pounds per wheel and max of 100 pounds in weight box. Be careful on how you improve traction. The bearings and rear axle were trashed in my 5 year old Broadmoor. 2 local Simplicity dealers told me that the rear end is a replace not repair type. I did use a snow blade on it. Simplicity must had problems, the new trans was a different design.

Tom, Wheel weights and fluid in the tires does not put any additional load on the bearings. Chassis weights do. I have had better luck with AG tires than turfs with chains.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Adding fluid (and tubes) seems like a good idea, but the rear tires of the broadmoor are not very big, 20X8-8. Does anyone know about how much fluid these will take? I'm wondering how much weight will be added by filling the tires with a water/RV antifreeze mix? Also, what tire pressures are people running? Should the pressure be adjusted when I add the fluid?

Fluid weighs approximately 8 lbs per gallon. Tire pressure is very important when moving snow. I keep my pressure very low so the tires "squat". Technique is also important. Take smaller bites and work "downhill". If you don't want to use chains, consider a more aggressive tread than turf tire (like Snow Hog). [img]http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/tires/snowhog.jpg[/img]

30lb. wheel weights, tires loaded with chloride, corked 2 link chains no air presure in tires [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/Tractor5.JPG[/img]

I used a set of "Wooly Booger" 21x12x8 ATV tires for a while. They were great for pushing snow. I had a set of chains, but never needed them with those tires. I did use about 200 lb of rear chassis weight.

Talking about using a ATV tire. I found these at Cedar Rapids Tire and should fit the Broadmoor (18 X 9.50 X 8) @ $42.18 ea. Shouldn't have any problem with traction using these. But I prefer the Ag Tire myself. [img]http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/tires/titanfasttrekkerrear.gif[/img]

Wow, those ATV tires look like they kick butt. In addition to the fluid in the tires, I am going to try to hang some weight off the rear bagger frame. I think I can rope a couple sand bags off the bagger frame. This would be the cheepest alternative. We are supossed to get 8-12 inches of snow today. I'm going to pick up some bags on the way home. I'll post results after the snow. Thanks for all the input. You guys are great!

A 70lb sand bag strapped to the bagger frame did the trick! $3 bucks for the sand and I have now have enough traction to blow snow going uphill. Anyone who says single stage blowers don't work well haven't used a Simple. Goes through 5 inches like it's not even there. To those on the New England shoreline, Enjoy the Snow!