Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Round toit

Dadsy98

I've had the tracing for the front hitch brackets almost a year now. These are for an AC 312. Since these tractors are unique nothing from before or after fits. I was hesitant to start this little project because I didn't own the shop tools or the welder to do it. This summer I scrounged the metal scrap I would need. I got a sawsall and a half inch drill. The welder is still lacking. Fortunately some folks at work are welders and I was able to enlist their help. So, I started... THE PLAN:

I cut out the main pieces. very time consuming.

Then, I cut the two inside plates and bushings. I drilled and tapped those then I drilled the two outside plates. The bushings are 7/8" diameter. Those were two tough holes to drill !

Drilling the bushings was lots of fun too! I tried six pieces in my attempt to get the hole centered and true. here are the parts after welding and painting. I wish I had the right shade of paint though.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to try them for a fit. Many thanks to Bill at Sandy Lakes for his drawing of the brackets!! Steve

Nice looking work. What kind of sawsall and drill did you get??One of these cheap 89 dollar drill presses are sweet for such projects...MPH

I have a Makita variable speed saw. I "borrowed" a 18T blade from work. The blade is a Lawson brand and I'm impressed with it. All of this cutting plus some other work all with one blade... and it's still sharp! For these cuts I used 90W gear oil for lube. The drill is a B&D 1/2 inch drill motor. I sure would like a drill press! even better if I could find an old bridgeport ( dreaming!) I found both the saw and drill at auction and picked them up for $15 each. Steve

Well, the holes didn't quite line up perfect when I went to attach the brackets. I had to tweak the hole sizes a bit. After I attached the brackets I mounted the snow blade. The blade went on with no problems. I just smiling ear to ear now. However, my joy is subdued a little when I realize I had the brackets on backwards!!! I'll try the blower today and see how that fits... might not need to change the brackets.

Steve

Steve, is that an OEM blade? Looks like the ones that came on the wards/gilson I had..Hope you got some tire chains for that nice lookin AC.MPH

Marty, Yes and yes. I picked up the blade and hitch from Sam last Friday. That sort of gave me the shove to make the brackets :) I picked up a couple of sets of chains about a month ago. They're used but should work. My plan is to have the blower on the 312 and a blade on both the 7010 and the 2110. I just need one more hitch and set of chains. With any luck we'll have a warm wet winter :) Steve

Great work Steve! I'm going to put your drawing to use and make some for the 46" angle dozer blade I just picked up fro a 300 series. Its missing the plates as well. Thanks, Sam

Dutch, I have about 12 or so hours into the brackets. When I compare my patience to my wallet, patience always wins! Sam, The plans show a stop welded on one of the brackets. I didn't do that on mine. I will later if the stop proves needed. the outside plates are 5/16" might be able to use use 1/4". In my case scroungers can't be choosy:) Steve

... rats !!! This afternoon I decided to set up the snow blower on the 312. Everything was normal until I tried to connect the lift arm to the hitch and lift rod. Remember earlier in this post I said I used 7/8" rod for my bracket bushings? Well, the bushings are supposed to be 3/4" diameter - to fit the pivot hole in the lift arm. So, I either grind the bushings to fit or drill out the pivot hole...

Steve