Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

WHICH TIRE TO CHOOSE

roma3112

HI ALL With all this talk of fluid filled tires i was wondering if you folks have any prefrence for tread design. Currently i have the origional turf-savers W-chains on my 3112. I found an extra set of rims for the rear and was thinking if mabe some AG-tires with their tread pattern would be better with the chains and WW-fluid for the winter. What do you all think? ps is there a good place on the web to get a decently priced set of tires, my local dealer is a wee-bit pricey. thanks john

Hi John, some of us, have purchased Ags from Tucker tire. They have decent pricing for the tire + shipping. You can see my set on my Wheelhorse. [url]http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/ArtsTractors.html [/url]

Yes I agree about the tires from Tucker Tire.They have a Ebay store as well.Here is a link to it [url]http://www.stores.ebay.com/tuckertirecompany/plistings/list/all/dept3/index.html[/url] Hope this helps, mowerman1193

I bought a set of lug tires from Tucker thru their E-bay store. Fast delivery and good price. Their price was better delivered than the "wholesale catalog" my father-in-law orders from. They even came with a set of tubes. I hope by the end of this weekend they will be mounted on my extra set of wheels, after I finish painting them. Greg

Here's another view of those Tucker Tires installed, front and rear. I agree on all the positive comments above. Fronts are Armstrong, the rears are Chen Shen (Chinese). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/johnny_box/bucket_down_small.jpg[/img] More pics at this link: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_box.htm

hi all thanks for the helpful links, i am going to check my manual to see what size (rears) i need for my 3112h. Would you suggest replacing all 4, or could i save a few$$ and just go with the rears only for the traction. john

You don't need to replace the fronts. I did it just to get steering control in snow and loose dirt. I don't usually mow with this tractor (until I broke the other one), so most of it's use is tilling, snowplowing, etc. If your 3112H still has the original wheels, they likely be 10" ones, not 8" ones, so you'd use the 23 X 10.50 X 12. Verify that, of course, before going further.... As I understand it, most of the 12HP tractors of those days came with the wider tires front and rear -- unless the person chose to use a 42" mower deck instead of the normal 48" one...

The 23 x 10.5's may be a little wide for snow removal. The 42 inch blade just barely cleans a wide enough path when angled and a 36 in snow blower will not, lest not on my B112..MPH

Good points, Marty. Another point, the factory 4-link chains don't work well with ag tires for me -- they tend to go down between the lugs. I'd think that the 2-link style might work better, but I don't know...

Another thing to consider is that narrower tires allow better traction. The smaller "footprint" puts more weight per square inch of ground contact. Wider tires produce more floatation. Pat

well guys i am off tomorow so i will find out what size is on the 3112 now, I think i will try filling the rears with fluid (that is if napa has the adaptor) and try that through the next snowfall. When filling the tire(s) i assume one should put the valve stem at 12-o'clock and then procede to fill, so as to get the most liquid in to ensure that the rim is completely coverd? thanks john

thanks maynard and everyone else! i am just sitting here wating for it to warm up a bit before i start my tire project john

MPH, Your wheels must be different from mine. I am running 23x10.5x12 tires on 10.5 inch wide rims on my 61 Wards, and the total width outside to outside is only 35 inches. This will work with either the blade or a snow blower.

hi all Well i found the tire adaptor @ napa just like kent said, the counterman thought i was daffy and never heard of such a thing but guess what>>>>> they had one on the shelf LOL Well a trip to the local wholesale club provided me with the 3 cases of w-w fluid to fill them, 1 thing i wanted to ask though was that i found that my rear tires (23 X 10.50 X 12) took almost 10 gallons each!! the concencus here was about 8 gallons per tire, I dont feel that the seem to be overfilled what do you all think? AS far as a tire filling tip goes i tryied to fill the 1st tire with a funnel man what a chore i think i did 2 funnels full and figured that there has to be a faster way. Well i remberd that in the shed i had an old fire extingusher (water type) so i filled that unit with the fluid pressureized it and VIOLA things went much faster. I realize that this is a one time operation, but for those of you who may want to fill their tires in the future look around your shop for one of these old refillable extingushers. thanks all for your help we got like 1inch here in boston this morning, i think i am gonna swap the blower off and give the dozer-blade a whirl

Thats a good tip about the old fire extingusher.When I read the post another thing came to mind.You could use one of those yard sprayers that you put whatever in it pump it up and fill the tire. mowerman1193

John, Yes you can get alot more than 6 or 7 gallons in each tire. I only use 6 gallons for two reasons, first you need some air in the tire to give you some tire flex for a smoother ride and to let the tire give enough to fit the surface you are driving on to get traction,, second if you want to check the air pressure and the fluid is higher than the valve stem you will get fluid in your tire gauge,not air. Mike