Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hard starting 9hp

ReedS

Ok I'm waving the white flag on this. My 64's 9hp B/S is starting very hard. If I hold the throttle plate closed with choke on I can get it going. Also during this process I'm getting a ton of fuel dripping out of the carb air inlet. All of the ignition components are new. I seem to have good spark. It will run well once it does run. I'm thinking dirt in the carb although I had it apart not long ago. Any thoughts will be apreciated. Thanks ReedS

Reed, You may also want to check the gasket between the carb and draft tube, and between draft tube and engine. If either one of these is leaking (sucking air) you will have to make your carb overly rich for it to start. A small leak will not make as much difference at higher RPM.

It is normal for these engines to like to start best at idle. Adjust your cable/rod so the butterfly closes when U have the throttle all the way in when the engine is off. It is also normal to dribble gas while cranking before it starts up. Bill

On my 64 landlord, I give full choke and a hair of throttle and i take off choke as soon as it fires. It doesn't like much throttle when cold and i don't like to rev when cold.

Ok I'v checked my gaskets,throttle linkage,cleaned the carb checked float adj,changed spark plugs,fires off when hot ok, cold start is still hard, checked compression while cranking was @90 psi. Shouldn't it be lower? I also noticed that it likes to fire if it's cranked faster(with battery charger connected). I guess I have to check batt voltage. My newer 10 hp doesn't mind cranking slow. I suppose that a worn cam or an out adjustment valve could also be part of the problem too.Always something to look at. Thanks for your suggestions. Happy tractoring. Reed S

Reed, If you're looking for a simple fix, you might want to consider converting it to a coil-based ignition system, as described in the DIY section. That'll send lots of spark to it, regardless of how slow it turns over. Others might have different thoughts....

I agree with Kent. I am running the battery-coil ignition like the older Kohlers used. My 10Hp B/S with a carb from a 7.25Hp will start at any throttle setting. It doesn't have to be at idle. One pop and open the choke. Floods a little, but almost immediately cleans out. A very sweet running set-up.

Kent,Rod Thanks for the input. If I only I had known that the old style ignition was weak on a real ccccold start I wouldn't have replaced it with the new parts this summer. After cleaning the carb and all it does run somewhat better. Right now my next move is to try a different brand of spark plug. After reading about the difficulty some were having with the champeon (I spelled it like that for a reason)plugs I expiremented and found among the three that I had(2 were new) that both of new plugs would at times not let the engine start. My fault or theirs(champion) I don't know. Getting new (ngk'S) has been an expirence in itself, I had to order them from the napa store where we have our business account. I hope that they make a difference. I'll let you know once I have tried them. Happy tractoring ReedS

I replaced the points on my 12 hp and it stopped starting hard. they were burnt up and out of adjustment. It had good spark but it was retarded, I kept tearing the carb apart thinking that there was something I did'nt clean well enough, I even dipped the carb for 24 hours and put in a carb kit. I dont know if you run off points, but it sounds like the same problem that i had. For what its worth..let me know what you find to be the problem. Thanks, M.Spetz

Well where do I begin, Sat I tried the ngk engine started better but still needed batt charger on cold start. Swapped batts with the 2110 same result. Checked batt voltage, it was ok @12.4 volts, however while dvom was still hooked up I cranked it over a few times and noticed that the voltage dropped like a rock. Time for new batt. Installed $20.00 Wally mart and a new fuel filter on Sun. Ran it for a couple of hours, let it cool off for few more went to try a cold start,cranked it forever and discovered I forgot toturn the key on doh!!! So I charged the new batt and let it sit overnight and all day tried it tonight and she fired on the first attempt with nothing but a little choke and throttle. So what was wrong you ask? I guess just about everything except points and coil.It seems that everything I did affected the engine just a wee bit. Who knows it might not start tommorrow!!! Thanks to those who replied. I like the old girl for plowing the light stuff although I used the 2110 it last couple of storms and it was really overkill for the snow that we got.Hopefully now I can put the 9hp in to go out first.;) Reed S

reed: make sure throttle shaft and bushings on carb are good. any wear will allow engine to suck air. had the same problem with my b-10 but it now starts fine. as to the problem with the engine rolling over too slow to start in cold weather the ONLY answer to that is synthetic oil. amsoil 10w40 will pour at -60 and will allow those old engines to turn like they would on an 80 degree day. also, synthetic gear lube is the only thing for transmissions and bevel gear boxes. weedcutter

Reed, I agree with dmoore on the oil. After a complete rebuild of my 10 HP Kohler, I started using Castrol Syntech 10W-30. Ran it all summer mowing, plowed the garden in the fall, and the oil still looks like the day I put it in. Oh, at about 15 degrees, it spins like its being hit with 24V. John

Ok guys, I have to admit to having the oil question rolling around in my head.I topped off the oil the other day (when it was 10*) and I could just about hold the 30w bottle upsidedown and watch the oil pooouuurr into the funnel:p. Of course I have the same age old question abuot synthetic oil,which basically is what would happen to the very tired but now running well B/S ? I am currently using the aforementioned non-detergent 30w in it now. I know I have seen numerous posts on this subject somewhere in here. I think that MPH said that he was using syn in his.Still kinda apprehensive about using the newfangled stuff in an antique. John, you say your using the castrol but have you used it in an old unrebuilt? Anyone else? Happy tractoring!!! ReedS Btw I ran the old girl tonight to plow the junk we had overnight- really wet and heavy- Started up and ran fine didn,t miss a beat.

I run synthetic in all my small engines. My neighbor ran his snapper dry and set it up. I broke it loose, polished the gouges out of the cylinder, refilled w/ syntech and rolled the heap back across the street. He mowed all summer with it. The only time you saw it burn oil was when he bent the blade after hitting the edge of his driveway. He proceeded to till the whole yard (lots of load on the engine). I enjoy having him as a neighbor because there is always something to laugh at and then fix ($$).