Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gilson and Stens

patrician12

I bought a pair of 4cylinder military surplus engines made by Teledyne a year back for $225.00 a piece.Now that I have a use for one it is rope pull start.I called Coleman's for an electric starter and they wanted $195.00 for the starter.I just wasn't going to pay that.So I hooked up an old DeSoto generator that I had to spin it after looking it up in the Briggs manual the gore details of the wiring.I found out years ago there was a wiring panel kit made by Briggs for this.Finally after 2 months I found one on ebay and got it for $12.00!When it arrived it was a box in a box.The real box was surrounded by papers that I threw out.That night at work when pushing down the garbage in the can I noticed that the papers I threw out were part of a catalogue for small tractor parts.There were at least 5 pages out of 30 that listed Gilson parts of all kinds.The company's name was Stens.Has anybody heard of these guys?They seem to have everything.They only sell wholesale to dealers with Fed tax Id numbers so I applied.What does anybody else know about them? Keith

Stens is an aftermarket parts distributor for the lawn & garden industry. They sell to a lot of small, independent (i.e. non-dealer) repair shops. Here's their website: http://www.stens.com/