Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

serial # question

simplejim

i am sure this has came up before but i cant find anything on it so i'll just ask.is there a way to tell if my simplicity 700 is a 1959 or 60 by the serial number?the number is:8332 jim

Simplicity didn't keep records of the serial numbers I'm told. If the engine is original you can use the serial number off it' Steve

Below is a link to a data table that should cover your engine. I have been trying to research the differences between the 700 and 725 tractors. I either have a later Model 700 or possibly one of the earliest Model 725 tractors based on engine numbers. Could you post some pics of your tractor so we can all appreciate it? I contacted Briggs & Stratton and was told that all Model 19 engines were 7.25 HP, even though I asked specifically about the Type 70635 as opposed to the Type 70647 engine. Anyone with more in-depth info on this, your input is definitely wanted. http://www.edgeta.org/mdate3.htm

daddycat, my briggs manuals do not show any 5 digit type numbers for the model 19, but do have 6 digit type numbers (706XXX). Usually the difference in the types are things like gas tank, starter, length of crankshaft or other minor differences.

Sorry, my mistake.... Types 706035 and 706047. I have the Model 19 Type 706047, Type 706054 and a Model 19D Type 0124 02. Any ideas on what distinguishes a 7 HP from a 7.25 HP? I asked directly about the Type 706035 as opposed to the Type 706047. The answer from Briggs was "According to my information, all Model 19 engines are 7.25 HP". This table is the only reference so far to shine some light on the subject, and Briggs is a dead end on this lead. http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/engine/landlord.htm

Hard to say other than a rounding error by someone or how the horse power was determinded for the engine. The crankshaft, cylinder head, piston, and piston rod are all the same part numbers in all three types.