Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowplowing tips

goatfarmer

I put a snowblade on my Allis 712 with hydro and electric lift.The problem begins with coming out of the garage.I go down a concrete apron,about 2 feet long,and onto a gravel/recycled concrete driveway.If I have the blade down to do the apron,it digs into the drive. Blade up misses the apron. This tractor doesn't have the original switch on it to lift and lower the blade.It has a switch that you hold in position to lift or lower. I guess what I'm asking would be is there supposed to be a position on the switch to 'float' the blade? Or do I need 3 or more hands to adjust drive speed,and blade height, while holding on to the wheel?B)

Hi, Two of my simplicities have the hydraulic lift. Both of the swithes are spring loaded, and the swithch is held in position until the blade is at the selected height and than I release the switch. I believe they are the oem parts switch.

There is no "Float" position with the electric lift like there would be with a hydraulic lift. You can make an adjustable lift arm like Dutch did. That way you could use down pressure on the apron and the spring will just relax a little as you go onto the rest of your driveway. Dutch, could you please post a pic?