Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Chains

MichaelGT

I went out yesterday to plow the 8 inches of fluffy snow, and put the snow plow and chains on the old Sovereign tractor. The problem was, the chains are loose (they are two link). I have used them for about 8 years, and they seem to be stretched. I just bought a new set for the new Sovereign with the snowblower. Does anybody have any secrets for tightening the tire chains? I would like to get by this year without buying another set. Thanks Michael

You can get elastic tighteners that are designed to tighten car/truck chains. Or, do like I do, and run bungee cords back and forth across the center of the wheel -- for these old tractors, the wheels will never be turning THAT fast.... Or, remove a link (or two, if needed)....

Michael Connect your cam lock into the next link of side chain. Any loose side chain links tie back with a wire tie or bread tie. If you have a cross chain lose remove it. Short black rubber bungee cords 2 per wheel crossed work good too. The chains I have on my tractor are 30 years old and have seen a lot of use. It is a lot cheaper to replace the cross chains as they wear out than buying a new set take an old cross chain to a parts store like NAPA and buy the correct length replacements. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/UCD/Tractor5.JPG[/img]

I just used the orange bailing twine last year. I tied it off to one link, and then made a star pattern across the rim. No problems. This year I have the 21x11x10 AG tires and the 2 link chains fit snug. I actually had to deflate the tires to get them hooked, and then reinflated to get them snugged up.

Michael, When I put the chains on I let the air out the tires first. I have fluid in the tires so I turn the valve stem up and let out the air pressure. Then I put the chains on snug and reinflate the tires. I have not had any problems with the chains since I started doing this. My two cents worth, Mike