Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower on 7117H

hufhouse

I found a snowblower today in excellent condition at a local salvage yard (believe it or not). It is Model # 990745. Everything spins freely with no wobble. There is almost no rust. According to the "What Fits?" section, it will fit my 7117H with two kits. One is a snowthrower kit made for newer model tractors that replaces the belt, lift rod, clutch fork and clutch rod. The other kit is a front PTO kit. I'm confused about a couple of things: 1. The snowblower at the salvage yard has a hitch attached to it that looks like it would attach to my 7117. The salvage yard guy says that he is sure it came off of a 7100 series tractor. If you were doing this, would you just go ahead and purchase both of the kits just to make sure that you had everything? It appears that the hitch is just a hitch, complete with two pullies. I didn't see any "clutch" hardware laying around anywhere. 2. Is there anything that I need to be aware of regarding hooking this thing up? I have downloaded all the manuals for the snowblower, front PTO kit and snowthrower kit. 3. Does anyone else have a setup like this? Does it work well? I feel like adding a front PTO to my tractor just to run this snowblower is a pretty big modification. Anybody know any problems this might cause? Are there any potential advantages? Are there other attachments that use a front PTO on a 7117? 4. I really went to the salvage yard looking for a snowplow. I've always been told that the blowers are only good for really heavy snow, which we don't get that often in my neck of the woods. I will probably be removing 1"-3" of snow most of the time. Will a blower work ok for that? 5. Does anyone have any idea what the two kits (1690542 & 1690356) might cost and whether they are currently available? 6. The guy wants $225 for the snowblower, and he said he would take it back and refund my money if I can't make it work. Does that seem like a fair price? 7. I don't have any sort of power lift on my tractor. Will I be able to lift this snowblower with just the lever? Thanks for any and all comments. You guys are always a big help. ----------------- Some added thoughts, now that I have completely read through all of the manuals. It looks like I need all of the parts for a complete front PTO. Is there a "kit" available that will just give me all the parts that I need to add a front PTO to my 7117? Will I just have to order all of those parts, since I'm not buying them with the snowblower?
  • Like 1

Guy The hitch for the 7100 only has one pulley and runs of the center PTO. The hitch you are talking about I believe is a 7000 series hitch with two pulleys desinged to run of a clutch on the front of the motor. You do not need any clutch hardware with a 7100 series tractor it uses the cone clutch on the center PTO.

Thanks. You replied just as I was researching the archives on this topic. So, what you're saying is that I just need to purchase the current hitch somewhere, along with a long belt, and it will run off the center PTO just like my mower deck? Is it really that simple? If so, I could be blowing snow in a couple of days! Does anyone have any comments about my other questions? Does a snowblower work ok in lighter snow?

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/UCD/SnowblowerbeltDiagram.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/UCD/SnowblowerHitch7100series.jpg[/img]

Maynard, If I'm not mistaken, they did make a front clutch assembly for the first couple of years of the 7100 series that worked just like the 7000 series. The only difference being that the engagement rod was a little longer to compensate for the longer tractor frame.

To address your questions: 1) To determine if your 7117H is an early model or late model, check the center PTO. Early Model = One “ear” on Pivot Arm, both pulleys mounted on pivot arm. This model is designed to use a separate PTO mounted on the front of engine, and a 2 pulley hitch to power the snowthrower. Late Model = Two “ears” on Pivot Arm, one pulley mounted on pivot arm, second pulley mounted on separate bracket on frame. This model is designed to use the center PTO, and a single pulley hitch to power the snowthrower. FYI - The 2 pulley hitch can be modified to a one pulley hitch with a minimum of fabrication. 2) To operate a snowthrower on the Late Model tractors, you’ll need the 147” belt, and the pulley is relocated to the lower “ear” on the “Pivot Arm” (easy job… one bolt). 3) The late model (long belt) set up works well, so does the front PTO set up. You could also install an electric clutch rather than a mechanical clutch for a front PTO. The advantage of having a front PTO is that you can operate 2 attachments at the same time. The Sweepster Broom, Weed Cutter, and EZ Rake and other attachments are designed to be powered by the front PTO. 4) IMO, a snowthrower is overkill for 1”-3” of snow (but they're nice to have just in case). 5) Check with your dealer. 6) Depending on condition, $225 seems like a very fair price to me. 7) Depends on your strength……. I can lift my snowthrower with a manual lift and I’m not a muscleman. Plus, you can always install an assist spring (that way you can stay inside and let your wife or kids enjoy the outdoor winter fun). Better shop for a used front PTO unless you have a FAT wallet.

As I recall, you can modify the rear lift by re-routing the lift cable so you could use a rear counter weight to offset the weight of front mounted implements like a plow or blower. I don't have any tractors that new yet so I can't give details. I'm getting a 7114 next Monday (the engine has new piston and rings) with mower deck for $300.

This picture is courtesy of TODDS, from when I was trying to figure out what to use on my 7117, so far the center PTO drive belt seems to hold up well. This is also the cheapest way to go although the belts are about $50 each (I'm on my second year with this belt) . My AC 712 with the engine mounted clutch was always a belt eater (2 to 3 belts a year). Don

A used front PTO will be hard to find, I bought a new style hitch from Al Edens, used, as I recall he charged me 40 or 50 dollars. You can easily tell if the blower was sold for a 7000 or 7100 as the 7100 tractor is a little bit longer and will have a longer lift rod. If you can borrow a hitch for a pattern you could have yours welded up to match. The long belt cost about 45 bucks cause I just bought one last year. Myself, I would go with the long belt and the center PTO rather than try to locate a use front PTO. That blower is going to be hard to lift, you might think about trying to get an electric lift. Some of the lifting rods have springs on them, I assume to help the operator pull.

PS: Should you decide to make up or modify (which I did) a hitch, goto my photo gallery for other pictures I got from TODDS with the dimensions. Don

Forgot to mention, if you do decide to go center PTO, make sure that your tractor has the dual position setup for the idler pulley(on the tractor). This is necessary to keep the belt at the right angle, also if you rebuild a hitch, the angle of that idler pulley is also critical. Wish I could help you with the less than 3" senario, because if that is all the snow I get, I dont even bother!

Guys, Come to think about it I don't think the KT 17 powered tractors were offered with the front PTO anyhow. Won't fit with the jugs in the way. I think the KT powered ones used the center PTO type hitch.

While on the topic, can anyone tell me the size of the pulley on the 700/7000 series blowers. Decided to fabricate a front hitch and remove the arms that are on a montgomerey wards blower that I "found". I have already started machining a bushing to use the pulley off of the center spindle of the mower deck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought that I would post the final chapter to this saga. After reading the posts here and talking to some friends, I decided that a snowblower wouldn't be the best thing for me. (See my rationale below!) I really needed a snowplow. So, I began calling salvage yards within driving distance. I found one about 75 miles from here who said that had several plows that would fit my 7117. It was a bright sunny day yesterday, so I left my office for a couple of hours and took a long drive. The owner started walking me around the yard and I had the opportunity to see some of the sorriest looking snowplows you can imagine. These weren't even fit to put on Ebay, much less MY beautiful 7117 (he says proudly). Anyway, the owner climbed up into the loft area of one of the pole barns (which was supported by one post and literally bounced as he was walking around on it...this was not a small man and the loft already had a couple of tons of equipment stored on it.) He found a plow that looked A LITTLE better and we started talking about money. He rooted around a little more to see if he could find me a hitch and all of a sudden he said, "Hey, I've got a brand new one up here still in the box." OK, now he's got my interest. Anyway, he was nice enough to ASSEMBLE it for me just to make sure all the parts were there. All I have to do today is go out and remove my mower deck and put the plow on. I might have to drill a hole for the bracket that holds the angle adjustment lever, but that's all. I know what a new snowplow costs, and I know that I paid about 1/2 that amount for this one. I didn't steal it, but I'm happy. After all, I don't have to go buy any parts and I don't have to sand anything down and paint it. That's worth something. Also, it looks really nice on my beloved 7117. Thanks again for all of your help! Reasons why I bought a snowplow instead of a snowblower: 1. In this part of Ohio, we rarely get deep snow. I'm not in the snowbelt. Generally, I'm only plowing 1"-4" of snow, and I'm rarely even at the top side of that range. I've been told that a snowplow doesn't work well in very shallow snow. 2. A snowblower has only one use. I can use a plow to grade dirt or to level the gravel in the parking lot at my office building. 3. A plow doesn't have moving parts to break. It also doesn't stress the engine or PTO as much. No belts to break 4. I don't have to modify my tractor in any way to install the plow. 5. I don't have a lot of storage space, and a plow takes up less room in the off-season. Truthfully, the only reason that I would want a snowblower is for the gut-wrenching Tim Allen tough-guy feeling that I would get once every five years when we get a really deep snow and I'm blowing it all over the neighborhood. After I had time to cool down from that thought and think a little more rationally, I realized that it probably made better sense to buy a snowplow!

Guy The reasons I like a Blower are that I can control where and how far I put the snow. I don't have to worry about snow banks building back and no place to put the snow. My old house I had no place to push the snow with a plow, same at my repair garage. With the blower I can pile it 15 feet high and 20 feet deep.

Huff, your on the right track, for light snows and a paved driveway, the blade is the ways to go. You move a lot of gravel onto the grass with a blade, but the blower can pick up gravel and possible break a window. Simplicity blades work great for moving snow, they roll the snow right over. I used to use a blade all the time, but when you get real heavy snow you run out of places to push it. I always started in the middle of my driveway with the blade angled, just roll the snow over. Turn around and roll the snow the other way, two "rounds and you are done. Then you will have to adjust the blade back straight again to push around the mailbox or other areas. When I had sidewalks, I just pushed the snow off of them too. The blade itself is the same for all AC/Simp tractors(as far as I know), what differs is the hitch. A 3300/3400/7000/7100 series all used the same hitch. The 7100 used a slightly longer lift rod as the tractor is a little longer. I have made these using some 5/8" rod, a MAPP torch, and a vice. If you find one of the older series hitches you can have it modified by rewelding the rod arm.

Just a little added information..... The standard 42" blade and the 30" blade for the walking tractors use the same type hitch mount to attach the plow to the hitch. In fact, the hitches for some of the snowblowers is the same as some of the plow hitches except for the two extra holes used to angle the blade. The 46" HD blade is a whole 'nother animal.

OK, here are a few pics of plows, blowers, and hitches.... First up, the hitch and 30" plow for a walking tractor. This plow will fit the other hitches for the 42" plow, and a 42" plow will fit this hitch. I kind of doubt a walker would push too much with the 42" plow.

This is an earlier A-C hitch. Notice how the lift arm goes back and is closer to the frame of the hitch.

This is the three belt blower. The brace to the body of the blower partly blocks the holes that would adjust the angle on a plow, but below the brace that part of the blower mounting bracket is the same. If you took the blower off the hitch, it would look like the A-C hitch above.

This is the hitch for a Broadmore that Brad talked about the other day on another post. This lift arm is vertical. The spacing of the holes will fit the three belt blower(possibly others too, but I have no idea which if any) and 30" plow.

This is a two puley hitch for a 42" A-C blower. If I understand previous posts correctly, this will fit a 7000 series, but would need to be modified for a 7100. Is this correct? It looks to me like the lever attached to the right (near) pulley on the hitch is the clutch for this blower. Does anyone have something like this one or can explain it? Is it just a belt tensioner? If it's a clutch, could this blower be used on the 2012?

This is the plow on the Putt-Putt, notice how close the lift arm comes to the frame. On newer tractors you need more clearance from the front of the hood(since it's farther forward and sticks out over the front axle)which is why the arm needs to be relocated.

This is the 46" HD plow that I got with the 3310. It's not anything like the other plow hitches. This lift arm has been modified to fit that tractor, but still rubs the hood a little if you're on a slope and the axle is tilted up on the right side. If you modify an older hitch, make sure you have plenty of clearance even with the axle tilted.