Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hydro fluid

hi all-I have a question about the fluid level in my sovereign when I got it.the tractor had under 5 hrs on it,but the hydro fluid was almost a quart low when I checked it.I added 'red' atf fluid until it started coming out,and followed the instructions for releasing pressure? also double checked with the dealer about what I did.#1-should I be worried that it was that low?(not worked hard yet),and is it ok to use regular auto trans fluid? it seemed to have more power going uphill while mowing after I did this-(imagination?).also,is it normal to get a "slow" response when moving the speed lever forward on this machine? it has no problem "digging in" when plowing with the moldboard and/or front blade-the power is pretty impressive.it has the kohler command 18 and I am interested in any info or comments about that engine.I am new here and hope I have used the forum with the proper etiquette and procedure-I visit some other tractor sites,but this is my favorite by far-thanks for all the pertinent and entertaining info----signed COLD in Pa.(snow Thursday?)

Dogman, The way you filled the fluid is correct. I don't belive that you did any real noticeable damage to it. but you should keep your eyes on it for leaks somewhere (hoses, lift cyl., and hyd filter) to name the common ones.

thanks Ron-no leaks anywhere.have noted numerous minor things that looked like a bad day at the factory-(cotter pins not spread,nuts loose,etc.,.)-but nothing I can't deal with easily so far.thought it may have something to do with the end of the sovereign model? anyway,I love the sucker and try not to be too smug when the neighbor can't keep his new cub cadet running!

I’m not 100% sure, but I believe 1996 was the last year the 18hp OHV Command was installed in the Sovereign. From 1997 – 2000, the Sovereigns had the 18hp OHC Triad. What is your 169nnnnn number? Anyway, with only 5 hours, you’ve got a virtually new machine. I have a 1996 Sovereign. It’s a great machine, but I found a few minor flaws in the design and quality compared to my older Sovereigns. Some general problems seem to be: 1) Air intake clogs the fins and air filter rapidly. I must service my air cleaner every hour when operating in dusty conditions. Optional fin covers are available and recommended. 2) Frame paint peels. 3) Deck discharge is a problem. Gull wing blades may be the main cause. Fabricated apron and straight blades can be installed. Particular to my Sovereign: 5) The underside hood paint near the hinges was very thin and prone to rust. 6) The hydro pump pulley was improperly installed throwing the belt out of alignment. 7) The bonding failed on the brake causing the lining to fall off. 8) Loose bolts, etc. same as yours. Overall, I really like the machine and its power. But I'll bet those that are not religiously maintained won't last as long as those with the older engines.

hi dutch-thanks for the info.#1-definitely sucks dirt-I would be interested in any info about the fin covers.#2 cleaning w/air compressor noticed the black paint coming off in "sheets"-what is up with that?!.#3 no problem w/discharge-I have the 48" commercial deck(think it's the regency deck?)and it moves the grass out AOK.haven't had time to get any nos.off engine,but it says "kohler command"-maybe the tractor is older than the dealer said?...apparently the original owner was an older gentleman,maybe he just never used it? the speed control arm was so stiff originally that I had to pound on it to move it! (got under and loosened the nut,plus WD40) haven't encountered your other problems(yet) but I will keep an eye out.well,waiting for the snow-have the old blade from my 7112 that fits right on the sovereign-much nicer than the manual lift! if it gets deep I'll hook up the case blower to my ingersoll 4016,which I just got done sucking leaves with and now splitting wood with my new hydraulic 2 way splitter-really like the attachments for that so far-like "driving" and mowing w/the sovereign better though!...(they compliment each other-nice having two tractors).thanks again for the input-gotta go get some dogs out! C
quote:
Originally posted by dutch
I’m not 100% sure, but I believe 1996 was the last year the 18hp OHV Command was installed in the Sovereign. From 1997 – 2000, the Sovereigns had the 18hp OHC Triad. What is your 169nnnnn number? Anyway, with only 5 hours, you’ve got a virtually new machine. I have a 1996 Sovereign. It’s a great machine, but I found a few minor flaws in the design and quality compared to my older Sovereigns. Some general problems seem to be: 1) Air intake clogs the fins and air filter rapidly. I must service my air cleaner every hour when operating in dusty conditions. Optional fin covers are available and recommended. 2) Frame paint peels. 3) Deck discharge is a problem. Gull wing blades may be the main cause. Fabricated apron and straight blades can be installed. Particular to my Sovereign: 5) The underside hood paint near the hinges was very thin and prone to rust. 6) The hydro pump pulley was improperly installed throwing the belt out of alignment. 7) The bonding failed on the brake causing the lining to fall off. 8) Loose bolts, etc. same as yours. Overall, I really like the machine and its power. But I'll bet those that are not religiously maintained won't last as long as those with the older engines.
[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=dogman&file=847"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]

thought I attached this...?
quote:
Originally posted by dogman
hi dutch-thanks for the info.#1-definitely sucks dirt-I would be interested in any info about the fin covers.#2 cleaning w/air compressor noticed the black paint coming off in "sheets"-what is up with that?!.#3 no problem w/discharge-I have the 48" commercial deck(think it's the regency deck?)and it moves the grass out AOK.haven't had time to get any nos.off engine,but it says "kohler command"-maybe the tractor is older than the dealer said?...apparently the original owner was an older gentleman,maybe he just never used it? the speed control arm was so stiff originally that I had to pound on it to move it! (got under and loosened the nut,plus WD40) haven't encountered your other problems(yet) but I will keep an eye out.well,waiting for the snow-have the old blade from my 7112 that fits right on the sovereign-much nicer than the manual lift! if it gets deep I'll hook up the case blower to my ingersoll 4016,which I just got done sucking leaves with and now splitting wood with my new hydraulic 2 way splitter-really like the attachments for that so far-like "driving" and mowing w/the sovereign better though!...(they compliment each other-nice having two tractors).thanks again for the input-gotta go get some dogs out! C
quote:
Originally posted by dutch
[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=dogman&file=847"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]