Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model V

I have a model V rotor tiller. There is a metal strapping piece that goes around the casing that the drive axel runs through. The strapping piece turns with the axel. It is about 1 1/4 inches wide. The strapping joins together and holds a pin that goes in to the hub. Is any one familiar with this arrangement ? I notice the manuals go back to 1957. The V is a 1953 or 54. I would like to know where I can obtain these drive parts. BC Mike C

Mike, If no one can answer here, you might try contacting Karl Brandt at the Vintage Garden Tractor Page. He's a club member who has his own website, and "specializes" in the old Simplicity walkers, though he has a nice collection of 4-wheel tractors, too... http://www.simplicityva.com/index.html He's usually very helpful, and the most knowledgeable guy on the old walkers that I personally know.

I have 4 of the v model tractors.What you are describing is the locking setup for the rachets in the wheel hubs.Are you looking for some parts or just invormation? If you need a picture I do have a manual for it and I can scan it for you.Bob

In the walkers section of this site are scans of the parts manual for the model V, I know because that's how I found out what I had. I've got 2 model V and 1 model VC, but unfortunately I have no "spare" parts. The metal strap could be made from scratch and I have used a nail to replace the pin with no problems after a year of hard use. I have swapped an 8hp Kohler onto one of the V's and use it with a turning plow to break new ground before rototilling, with chloride loaded tires it is unstoppable.

Thank you for the info gentlemen, I will look in the walkers section. Bob I would appreciate a scanned picture. Kent I checked the site you suggested. Arnold I would like to have more hp as well. The 5 hp B&S is marginal and I blow a head gasket every couple of years when it gets hot. Interestingly we got the model V given to us because the previous owner had control problems and ran over a few things. BC Mike C

Mike, The names Roger Arnoldi, but every one responds as if it's Arnold. The Kohler swap was simple once I got the spacer plate figured, 1" thick aluminum drilled through with the briggs pattern and drilled and tapped with the kohler pattern. Just line up the centerline of the crankshafts and it fits really sweet. The engine I used has electric start, so the battery is out front on the snowplow mounting bracket for now. I can understand how he ran things over, when the wheel clutches get sticky she will not turn and you have to put it in reverse to get the clutch to let go. I bought the VC because it uses a true differential and is much better suited to working on turf. The model V is better suited to plowing and other dirt jobs because once the clutches both lock she holds a straight line no matter what.