Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Symptoms & solutions for carb icing

Kent

With the winter storm pounding the East, it's an appropriate time for this post... especially for those new to these tractors. What symptoms have you experienced with the carb icing up, and what did you do to solve them? I forgot to put my factory heat shield on the Big Ten for my first use this winter, and by the time I finished snowblowing, it was frequently acting like it was running out of gas -- I'd have to stop and let the engine "catch up." It even sputtered and died once, and I had to let it sit for a moment, then restart it... I realized what I'd forgotten to do, but with a hot engine and muffler, there was no way to install the shield then. What have you experienced? How did you solve it?

We made a shield out of roof flashing,easy to work with,wrapped it around upright cub muffler and bolted it to wing nut on air filter.Works fine,,now working on a defroster from eng hot air off head,to keep cab window clean!only gettin 3 in. here,, weath/chan says!,,BTW how to post pics here,cant get em to come up only url addr shows!??,,[img]http://image.photoloft.com/opx-bin/OpxFIDISA.dll?s=cano&src=/PhotoLoft/Asset20/2002/12/05/10206/10206035_0_9487.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF[/img]

I have always used just a plow, since I never had a blower till this year. I have never had a problem and have never used a heat shield. The tractor sits outside all year long. The worst thing I've had happen is the battery ran low and I needed to use the charger to start it. I will probably look at hooking up the three belt blower to the Putt-Putt tonight.

Dave Use the [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/images/icon_editor_image.gif[/img] Icon in regular reply window or these tags [ img ] [ /img ] in the Quick reply window it should work

Kent Nothing don't have that problen with a diesel no carb. Mix 50/50 kerosene & Diesel. Just need a Heet lamp to start it at 20 below zero

Here's what we made,for the cub muffler system though,[/img]http://image.photoloft.com/opx-bin/OpxFIDISA.dll?s=cano&src=/PhotoLoft/Asset20/2002/12/05/10206/10206035_0_9487.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF[img]Heres a link to pic of a carb.cover we made for our 3116H,,;

Dave, The picture's URL goes between the two tags like this {img}pictureURL{/img} The first tag tells it that it's a picture address and the second tag tells it that it's the end of the address. HTML requires a start and end tag for any formatting. But, I tried changing the tags and that still doesn't fix this problem! I think that darned long address from Photoloft is what's causing the problem. It's breaking the URL up onto two lines and that's what's causing it.... the link works, but it doesn't show if you use the tags for a picture for some reason. I'vr asked for help on this one.... B)B)B)

Dave Up load the picture directly to the post. Use the [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Icon to load directly. Only problem after you load it once and want to load it to another post you have to play with the tags and url to get it to show.

Just hang in there with the links (you can still see them, if you click) for a day or two and see if the "experts" can solve this. Photoloft is the best/biggest freebie that I've found... I want to see if we can get this one fixed. 1. Meanwhile, don't even bother trying to do the picture -- just paste in the link. On links you don't even have to bother with the tags -- it's a link UNLESS you tell it with tags that it's something else. 2. You can also put up to 512KB of pictures in your Gallery here, then use them without problems. There was a weird bug with using blank spaces in file names in the Gallery, but I think I whipped that one yesterday.... Sorry for the hassles!

Yes, that's another alternative that Maynard suggested. I also added a little utility on your "My Start Page" in this newest version so you can list and view all the pictures you've attached to topics and replies, so you can easily find one and reuse it somewhere else... There's a similar one to list the ones in your Gallery, without having to go to your Gallery to do so.

Kent I didn't Know about that. I have been doing it the hard way by posting the picture going back and copying the the url of the little box that shows up then repasteing it and edit it to work.

Well, the "bad news" is that the programmers won't be "fixing" the problem with the Photoloft image links not correctly displaying the picture. The program intentionally removes the "=" and "&" characters from those links because hackers can "hide" malicious programs in picture URLs and wreck the site by using them -- kind of like viruses.... So, those characters are automatically stripped out and the picture doesn't show up because the URL is different. So, you may want to look for an alternative to Photoloft... Geez! They WILL continue to work as links, but won't show up in the forums as pictures. They will show up in the Classifieds, however, since that was written by different programmers... [:0]

Well how bout them apples!I'm jealous cause Les got to put his pics on with no prob!,I will say it was no problem to put classified pics on though,,, 5 in snow and counting!,,supposed to get like 8'' here before its done,,1 quest; could I re-insert the & and = symbols?