Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

throttle linkage and govenor linkage position

wizzo

Broadmoor tractor, before they were numbered. Briggs and Stratton six horse. Two cables. I'm going nuts trying to figure out how these go on. One is straight forward but the other I have tried exhausting ways with no result. Near as I can tell the two work together somehow. I can get the govenor linkage to work but the choke/butterfly one seems impossible. Do they both bolt at the screw holddown clamp, one on each side of the screw facing the ground? If so where does the throttle linkage go from there? There is only one hole left behind that plate but it is slightly larger than the the other linkage holes. I'm rambling but this is difficult to describe. Anyone have a picture?

would you be able to take a picture of what you do have. I may be able to help you if I can Identify what type of carb you have. or if you can give me the numbers from the engine i may be able to go from there. the model and type would be fine. M.Spetz

I sure do appreciate the offer rapalla7. I don't have the gizmos for a picture, but here are the numbers. I apologize for the three model numbers but the third digit isn't clear. I know this hampers the quest but here it goes: Engine Model #170702 or 176702 or 178702 Type # 1230 tractor mfg. # 990303 serial # 017111 There is like what appears to be a three sided metal box about 4" by 2" where all the linkage comes together. This unscrews with two small screws to allow access behind it. I searched the forums today but couldn't find a picture or much on it.

The numbers that you gave me are confusing. Can you describe the caburator, and the location? I would also like to have a better desciption of the plate for the linkage. I show that this is a horizontal engine with 17 CID with a rewind starter??? I'm trying to narrow things down. I have a 6hp horozontal sitting in my garage. Maybe its the same. Let me know and I will beg the nice lady who lives behind me for her digi cam. M.Spetz

rapala, once again I thank you for the effort but this really should be on me. Perhaps I can borrow the camera and get back to you if you check back with this post. It may take some time I would have to learn the picture posting thing. I've been all over the Briggs page and your right, those numbers don't make sense although I think you're close with what you found about the engine size. It seems counterproductive to hook up both cables they oppose each other and hamper each others movement. Perhaps I'm missing a part or something. I bought this thing in junk status and after three weeks got the engine running. It was solid varnish inside. I cant't quit now. Spent all day yesterday on it. I can get one cable to work both the throttle and govenor but not in their full motion. I'll try for more info thks

I saw the pictures that you sent to me. I'm just going to go through a check list for this type of set up. I cant tell you how many times I've worn out screws and scared the kids with my language over a carb. I have something similar on another engine. I'm just talking now... the throttle cable hooks to the lever on the plate. On the back of the plate there should be a spring, from that spring should be a lever with holes in it. one hole should hook up to the governer, and one should hook to the throttle plate (this is the one that is closest to the engine). The choke plate should sit below the air cleaner inlet. the cable that hooks to this should have its own clamp some place near by. you can some times see where it is worn and swing it around until you find an area where the clamp may have fallen off. From the picture that you sent it looks to me as though you may have hooked the throttle linkage up to the choke. maybe im mistaken though. M.Spetz