Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416H

Charlieson

My 3416H runs great, however it has a terrible vibration. I cant tell whether it is coming from the rearend or engine. The motor is real tight and doesnt use any oil. Any ideas? ddh

I have a 3416H as well. My tractor also had a bad vibration. You can separate the drive shaft off the back of the engine and move it to the side. Start the engine. If the vibration goes away it is either in the driveshaft/coupler or the rear Hydro/assem. Have fun. I just rebuilt my entire engine because my vibration was coming from worn bearings on the crank. I rebuilt my entire engine including boring the cylinder, cutting the crank, new piston/rings, new rod, new crank bearing and complete gasket set for around $325.00. Hope this helps. Jeff

One thing to check is that all driveline components are tight. Driveshaft bolts, BGB yoke, etc.... Several recent posts point to the BGB input bearings as a fairly common failure item(after 30+ years) so checking out the BGB is another area to look at.

Grab the driveshaft at the bevel gear box end and try to move it up and down. Generally if there is vibration due to a worn gear box you will be able to move that up and down some. Shouldn't be any up/down side to side play in the input shaft to the box.

Thanks guys, As soon as the weather gets above 10 degrees I will check these things out. I have been wondering about the bgb.

Ran her up on ramps, and checked the drivetrain. The keyway seemed a little sloppy and on closer inspection the setscrew evidently backed out sometime. I am going to take the driveshaft down and remove the coupler replace the key and setscrew and see if that doesnt fix the problem.