Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A REAL "REVERSE" LIGHT

tractorfreak3

Since I have so much time on my hands,after I installed the front lights on my 63 landlord, I decided to make a reverse light that is only on in reverse. I used some aluminum stock i had around to fab the paddle and mounting brackets. I found a momentary plactic toggle switch for 3 dollars ant the autoparts store.(i was going to use a simplicity nuetral start switch, but it requires more pressure to actuate and is also more expensive. The hardest part was designing the paddle(whiches mounts right ro the shifter rod at the rearend) to pass over the switch when the tractor is in 3rd gear. The rear light is still wired through the light switch. I am curious to see how long the light switch lasts since its plastic. oh yes I used a metal nut on the light switch for mounting as the plastic one could not stand the pressure of the paddle. Any ?'s Email me. Thanks Tim

Tim, In keeping with the philosophies of the creators, my rear deck light on the Landlord 2110 got a similar mod. First the light wasn't quite the correct one. Instead of a hole bored through the middle of the 1/2" mounting bolt for the wire, it had a 1/2" hole ~~ 4 o'clock at the back of the lamp housing with a bakelite feedthrough insulator. I removed this, installed a SPST toggle switch, then bored the 1/8" hole through the mounting bolt. Wired it, fused it at 6 amps to the main dash light switch B + terminal. Now front/rear lights are independant. Seemed like the logical "simple" thing to do. Does anybody know a source for the wire clips which attach to the seat deck and frame rails (PN 122159 no longer available)? Brilliantly, Tom(PK)