Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new tractor purchase

roma3112

hello gang I have a sort of opinion pool question for you all. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a new simplicity. I have a 69 3112 now and i am looking for as close as a direct replacement as far as weight and size goes. I realize that the sovereion line was long ago dropped from production. I was wondering what you folks thought about the prestige and legacy line that is out now. I went tire kicking the other day and while they look nice i noticed that gone are the days of a heavy castiron rear-end (and really beefy lookin transmissions ect) The dealer swears that these new machines are awsome but i am looking for some indipendant opinions. The machine will be used for grass and snow and mabee a tiller some day. What do you all like in the new simplicity line.

I 'd buy one of those before I would buy a Prestige or Conquest. If you have ever seen a tiller setup for one of those you would hang on to an old Soveriegn to do all your tilling.

sam I have never seen a tiller on one of those things but like i said i was not impressed (at least visually) on the toughness of these new machines, a dealer that i somtimes visit had a left over 2000 soveriegn this summer and i'll tell you having that next to the "new line" would have done more to sell me on the old 2000 sovereign than the new prestige or legacy. The last year of the sovereign just looked more heavy duty, while the sheetmetal looked like an old tractor with its squared-off lines that didnt bother me any. What the old timer told me there was that simplicity dropped the line because the cost of producing these machines did not meet what simplicity needed to do to turn a profit. He theorized that they "overbuilt" them. Like i said i am sure that these new machines have their improvements, and lord knows they are far superior to a "big-box mtd/jd/cub" i just wonder if i would be better served (money not withstanding) looking for a fixer-upper than getting a new one

I bought a new Prestige this spring and also have 2 soverigns. The Prestige is everything that your dealer claims it to be. I don`t have a tiller for it yet but the dealer tells me that the tiller on the soverign will work on the Prestige with the adaptor kit thats available thru Simnplicity. So my revitalizer should work also. They are a well build machine. They have automatic traction control, foot controlled forward and reverse, cruise control, easier to get off of and no expensive BGB. The quality of cut is the same as the soverign. The dealer told me that one of the reason Simplicity went with the Prestige was to get away from the BGB. (They also have running boards).

I wasn't aware that there were adapter kits for the using the older implements with the new Conquest or Prestige. If that is actually the case, they suddenly become MUCH more attractive to me, personally. Al, Cal, or some other dealer -- can you confirm this? If so, what attachments can be used with them?

i wonder how far back these "adaptor kits would let you go in time, would be a hoot to adapt a snowblower fron "69" to a 2002. Alas its probably too good to be true, but great if it was :) if any of you guys could confirm the existance of such kit(s) that would be great thanks john b

I think that if you look around you can probably find a 1999 or 2000 NOS left over tractor at one of of the dealers. I know that I saw a couple of these machines when I made my rounds in Pennsylvania this past spring.

Ive got a newer broadmoor, i thinks its a 96, it rides great, handles excellent, mows nicely, but....the deck has had a lot of work, quills, brackets, the spring assembly is a joke, mine broke in two, the steering is wearing out, with little adjustment, the tires are already loose, the transmission is "wierd" in first gear. You could say its cut a lot of grass in 5 years, but so have the others i have that are 30+ years old. Just a thought. Doug

John, too bad you weren't closer. I know of a dealer that is sitting with two 75th anniversary Sovreigns that he is willing to let go at a VERY reasonable price. One is a display unit, (mower deck is still in the crate), and the other tractor is still crated in his warehouse. Thought about buying them myself, but can't see putting such a machine into actual use. They would be no more than ornaments at my place. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll see what can be arranged. Pat

Buy the prestiage,i have a 1999 agco918/soverign and love it but if i ever get the money to buy another it will be the prestiage version of agco.The tractor as stated by ray has all the gagets that i have on the agco918 plus the foot control that ray talks about.I have wanted one of the prestiges since they came out but i love my agco918 so if money comes availible the agco918 will have a brother.The prestiges has the hr meter, hydralic lift,best mower in the bussiness plus power steering to name a few of what i like about the tractor.AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER

a picture is worth...(well,you know)--'99(?)"leftover" sovereign,plows stuff a lot harder than this with no chains.has the kohler command 18,regency(commercial)48" deck-(cuts GREAT),$3200 with maybe 5 hrs.on it.bought the original simplicity moldboard plow for $80,and have the front blade from my 7112-that fit right up.don't have a tiller for it-(use the ingersoll hyd.)-but i am sure it would work well.this tractor can do everything they made attachments for,with power to spare,and everything fits the sovereign.no new ones for me-this sucker will still be working after I am long gone.(with proper maintenance of course!)dogman. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/cplow6.JPG[/img]

The rear attachment lift kit is Mfg. No. 1694192 and the 36" tiller adapter kit Mfg. No. 1686888 are available on PDF on the Simplicity Technical Pub. site.This is what my dealer told me that I needed for a tiller and customer service at Simplicity told me the same thing. I really don`t think that the snowblowers will work though the hitch mounts to the rear axle.

I was at my local dealer looking at new tractors last spring.I was looking at the Broadmoor and talking with the salesman about my old Broadmoor has a tiller and all the other goodies.He told me that alot of those attachments will work on the new one as well.I took it as a sales pitch but maybe it is true. The only manufacture that I know that still has a heavy built tractor that attachments will work from the early 70's is the Toro Classic 300 series.Seems that everyone else is making them cheaper and raising the price.Although you dont get all the cool stuff on the Toro like hydro trans and cruise ect...

Something like this would be nice.... [img]http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7b45ce4f30609b5cf23715f9a0d5d909/i-1_B.JPG[/img] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2079035085&category=20544[/url]

Mowerman, thats what ticked me off about Wheel Horse was when they discontinued the Hydro model in the classic series. Thats about the same time I went to Simplicity, then they ended up doing the same thing too basically. Do you suppose if I bought a new Deere or Cub that they would quit making them too??????:o) That would be one way to get rid of them:D

Hi, I would recommend a Legacy. The size and strength of this "beast" is truely awesome. I looked for a few years at alot of stuff. This was the only thing that measured up for me. This is my first simplicity and with the way she is built, my last! Ron Robinson

Art-if I had seen something like this for near what I paid for my sovereign,I would have bought it-nice tractor,wonder what it will go for....(wife would kill me).dogman
quote:
Originally posted by arjr111
Something like this would be nice.... [img]http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7b45ce4f30609b5cf23715f9a0d5d909/i-1_B.JPG[/img] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2079035085&category=20544[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
If any of you folks knows of or comes across a new old stock sovereign could you drop me a line here, I am looking with one with power steering/lift ect. I would love to have it close enough to boston to drive out and pick it up. Thanks all john b

Isn't the Legacy a driveshaft implement drive versus the Sov. belt drive? Each one of those attachements I think use an angle drive. Would be a lot of work to convert wouldn't it?

If had my my druthers and had a need for one I would get the Sovereign over the Legacy. It has the old cast iron drive thats been around since the good lord crossed the river, manual mower clutch which has been around for a long time and is of a sound design. The hitch points I would imagine should be more adaptable older accersories. I just bought a Sunstar for no other reason then the price was real right and with it came a second mower deck and with the angle drive on it it wheighed a ton. With the Sov class implements they are still manageable to change out and me being 62 thats something I would consider. The new Sovs also have power sterring. BLT

The Legacy does use a shaft to drive everything. If you have older tillers/snow equipment it would be a pain (if at all) to adapt them to the Legacy. Also, the tiller / snow blower / sweeper all run about $2000 each when fitted with all the right stuff. I went with blade partly because it ran $850 rather then $2000. Everything for this machine costs. It is a great machine. But if you have a "boat load" of older equipment that works, buy something else.