Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Project B-10

arjr111

You know you have enought tractors, when your wife doesn't even notice the new project in the garage. The carb. was so bad that when I loosened the bottom and cracked it open several ounces of white powder poured out. It was shot. The gas tank was a mess, from sitting outside cleaned it up with small stones and patched the pin holes...now, to try to get it running! Came with 42" deck[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/00_00014_5.JPG[/img]

Marty it is nice and straight. I'm not going to take it down like Daddycat, don't have the sandblasting equip. But, I am going to clean it up nice, and give it one of my patented spray-can paint jobs. Pat, the engine is the 234431 with the oil soaked filter. Took a carb. from Rob-B, and put it on this one, and it started right up. Amazingly, I only had to drive, twenty minutes to pick it up, not the usual 4/5 hours. Nobody else put a bid in, so the price was right at $250. The wife's walked by it ten times and still hasn't noticed it's a new project.......maybe, I can stop holding my breath.

Art, unless you transposed a couple of numbers, you have a newer engine. The correct engine for the later B-10 is a 243431. The 234431 is a later 23 cubic inch, 9 horsepower engine. I see that you have a late B-10 which should have a 10 horse. Your engine has the longer intake elbow, which mounts the carb lower. With the carb mounted lower there was clearance under the edge of the hood for the larger oil foam or paper air filter element. To my knowledge, the longer elbow was only used on newer engines, but could have been added later for one reason or another. Not sure if all were equipped this way, but the newer engines with the longer intake elbow (at least all that I have seen), were all new enough that they were factory equipped with Magnetron ignition. They also had a kill switch mounted on top of the blower housing. Pat

You have a very sharp eye, Pat, especially considering the poor quality of the pic. That elbow was on the replacement carb.,I got from Rob-B. I put it on, and didn't even notice it was longer than the one I took off, til I read your post. I did wonder why the air breather tube did not quite want to fit.....duh. Maynard, of course, you are right and I am just waiting for the hammer to fall. But, the longer it takes, hopefully the better my "oh, I've had that one a long time, don't you remember??", excuse will work!!

You better hope she doesn't come read your posts......... Nice tractor. I will be picking up a 7114 and an old 10 HP Massey hydro tomorrow. I already plan on telling her I'm going out Christmas shopping......

Pat, you were also right about the engine. The engine is a cast iron Briggs and Stratton model # 243431 type 0123-01 serial number 6701101. Can't get anything past you guys. Daddycat, are you going to say that you just happened on these two machines? Good luck..

I never specified who I was shopping for, now did I? lol I was thinking about turning the Massey into a self propelled log splitter. It has the hydro pump and cooler powered by a 10 HP Kholer, and I have an old splitter that uses a 5 HP Briggs.

Art, Even though it's not a RBT, I was tempted to bid on it myself. It looked really clean, and it had a newer engine. By the time I went back to bid, you had already placed your bid. Can't believe you were the only bidder. Good luck with it.

Daddycat, that will be an interesting use and I imagine, somewhat difficult modification project. I hope you will give us some pics when you get it together. Dutch, thanks for the courtesy. I am a little quick on the trigger/mouse button. The thought, that I may be influencing someone else in the club, not to bid, should be a positive factor in curbing my tractorholic tendencies.