Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pow'r Max Power Steering

LBS

do you install another hydro pump to run the power steering? If I run it from the tranny then when I push the clutch in the PWR ST stops to. can you still turn the wheel with no power? I guess you can. Just interested in how far you go with your rigging. Lawrence

Lawrence, it sure would be nice to have 'live' power steering. Fact that the lift doesn't work is bad enough, though while I was raking dirt in sept I did sortta break the habit of stepping in the clutch all the time..MPH

Yes, but the clutch is nice when you are using the loader so you dont need three hands.:D One to steer, one to start and stop with and one (No TWO!) to operate the loader with! Any of you ever try to drive into a pile of dirt and keep the thing going strait and scoop up the dirt and stop without digging holes so you can still back out, without using the clutch? Tuff luck! Lawrence

Club Member OldFart figured out a way to run the power steering off the transmission. MAybe he could be talked into writing a post on what he did exactly. I used this 917 hydro with the loader and the 2012 gear drive with its loader(which is no longer mine now) and the 2012 was much easier and handier to run than the hydro model for all the reasons you just cited. If you got on the 2012 and got in the swing of things it all just worked like clockwork in a nice fluid motion. No way to do that on the hydro.. Sam

Foot peddle hydro sure would help those of us born with the handi-cap of two hands. Have two feet not doing much more then riding on them running boards,,MPH

I really dont use the steering when digging in with the loader. If I'm going into a pile of dirt or whatever, I let go of the wheel to operate the hydro and the loader. Very seldom do I use the clutch. Guess it's just what you're used to. Eh?