Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan governor Question

MPH

While its hanging out in the open, and I can't get starter parts today, decided to remove the timing gear cover and see if anything is ill with my governor. My book"Thank you Paul" says if you can stick a gauge into the governor shaft hole 1/2 inch the ball has fallen out. How it can fall upward is beyond me, but some things are. I can go in just over half inch and with a miror and flashlite it looks like a cavity in there to me, so I'm assuming the ball 'fell' out. What size steel bird shot do I replace it with???It looks to me like the fork on the governor shaft rides centered on the governor cup as is. Thanks..MPH

Never mind, after carefully drilling out the bottom of a grease serk to get the little check ball, I was cleaning it up for reassembly, sprayed some WD-40 in the hole and washed out lots of grey goop and a little ball, Think the manual should say "more then 1/2 inch. Things to learn in life..MPH

Marty, Hope that works for you cuz I have no idea what yer talking about! LOL! I haven't messed with my governors at all. I did have one of my CCKB's start "hunting". (Meaning it would go up and down in RPM) I resolved the problem by cleaning up the crankcase breather. Gerald Brown (oldfart) told me once that if you dont clean the breather once in a while the motor will run like crap. He's right! Never overlook common maintenance practices when things go wrong. I was amazed at how that could affect engine performance! Paul

I was kinda hoping to find something not right Paul, fix it and be able to get more then 1100 rpm range outta it when I put it back in. Everything checks out at the book says it should be, good news no doubt, but didn't solve my other situation..Page 53 in the manual, Onan service manual, you copied for me is what I'm talkin about..MPH