Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor won't move

LeoB

I was doing some blowing with my B-112, I had changed to reverse to and then back to 2nd gear and the tractor wouldn't move, I tried reverse and then the rest of the gears with the same result no movement. I thought maybe my main belt had broken or slipped, but that looked ok. When I checked further, I found what I think may be my axle tube on the right side is broken. This is the piece just under the drive belt that surrounds the axle. It's about 2" long and looks shattered. I found a large circlip on the ground along with some metal pieces. I didn't hear any grinding noises, so at least until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming that my bevel box is ok. Would a broken axle tube stop power to the rear wheels? How difficult is this job to replace the axle tube and should I do both sides? Are parts available? What else should I be doing if I'm tearing it down to replace the tube? Thanks, Leo

Welcome to the club Leo..Sounds to me more like you shattered your differential hub then the axle tube. The axle tube is much longer then 2 inches, it runs from the diff, into the tranny housing. How big in dia. is the broken part??MPH

The broken piece looks to be about 2 inches in diameter as well as about 2 inches long. I can see the axle when I look through the cracked housing and can feel alot grease inside the piece. I also see that there is a grease fitting on the broken piece as well. I did notice that it is much shorter on the broken (right) side than the other side of the tractor (left side). On the left side, I can clearly see what is the axle tube, it's about 7 or 8 inches long. I wondered whether the whole assembly shifted when it let go, but it just doesn't look like the broken piece was ever much longer or that it's somehow inside the bevel box. I do have a manual that I ordered from simplicity, I'm just not sure looking at the manual and then at the tractor, exactly what part I'm looking at.

Sorry Leo, my error on the tube being much longer on the rt side of tractor, forgot how much space the diff takes up down there, went out and looked at mine. The axle tube is one piece, left and rt side. If you study the pic in your manual, axle tube is #50 in mine, you can see the pair of keys about centered that lock the drive gear, the serk is to the rt side of the tractor from that. Axle tube being broke will stop your movment for sure. While in there, inspect everthing for wear, esp all keys, they seem to get quite a hammering over time, best to replace them I think. Seal should be replaced. As for parts, because they spell service with a capital S I recomend Sandy Lake to start with. As far as how tough is the job, well, its all basic bolts and nuts, not rocket sience, if you get lost or confussed, you found a helpful bunch of tractor nuts to hang with here, sometimes we may not get what your asking so don't give up. If you have a didgetal camera, pics help a lot and can be posted right off you desktop on Kent new site plan. MPH

MPH, Thanks alot for your advice and I agree with you regarding Sandy Lake, I'll give them a call today to see if I can't get the parts ordered. I'll let you know how it all works out. I really like this old lady and don't want to part with her if I can make the repairs needed.

Leo, the axle tube is one piece. For a look at the tranny on my 2012(equivalent to the B-112) go to this post and down a ways. I just replaced mine with the one from my old 3310 tranny. It may be easier to buy a spare tranny and swap it out if you're in a hurry. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10303

I ordered the parts yesterday from Sandy Lake, nice people like you guys said and willing to offer whatever advice they could. Bill recommended leaving the tranny in the tractor and replacing the axle tube by simply removing the transmission right side cover. He anticipates about 4 or 5 hours to do the job. Anyone here do it this way? I still may just pull it out of the tractor because otherwise, I'll have to work outside. The tractor is stuck out in the yard.

When I did some other repairs in mine I pulled it. You have any means of towing or rolling it in, come-a-long, long rope and a pully, wifes car??MPH

Maybe my pickup, if I can get through the snow. It sure would be easier to do the job in the garage. There's no heat there either, but at least it's a nice clean floor that's flat with no snow. We'll see, no matter what, it should be an adventure.

Hi Leo, The exact same thing just happened to my A/C 310 on the samr side, and the exact same way. The parts were available for about $170.00 at a local argo dealer, and $275.00 if they did it. They currently have the tractor, and are making the repair. But to address one of the repair issues, the trans. does have to come all the way out from what i was told. There is a bull gear inside that has to be deal with and checked.