Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kubota Snowthrower

Dutch

Hope one of you guys can help with this. I have a Kubota snowthrower model #B648-A. Want to check or replace the auger bearings. It appears that the bearings are under end covers. The covers are about 4.5" diameter and have 12 holes. There are 2 bolts holding the cover to the housing, and a hex "nut" welded to the center. I assume the cover can be turned to set bearing load and the bolts inserted through the appropriate holes. Right? I tried to remove the covers, but they don't want to come off. Is there a secret?

Herb, are the hole at 12 and 6 o'clock threaded??Maybe thier ment to screw a puller into, such as a stearing wheel or flywheel puller.MPH

Marty - No, the holes are plain. There are nuts welded to the inside of the housing. When I remove the bolts at 12 & 6 I can turn the cover by putting a wrench on the center "hex". But, the cover doesn't get tighter or looser. It just turns and won't come off. I tried to gently pry it out, but I don't want to force anything.

There are 12 holes, but only two bolts. That's why I am "assuming" the cover rotates to load (adjust) the bearings, then the 2 bolts are inserted in the closest holes. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry Herb, they look smaller then the top and bottom hole, like 1/4 inch cap screws. Guess I'm stumpped from here. Can you maybe slide the augar back and forth, like a slide hammer, Soak it in pb blaster??? your turn to adjust idea makes sence...not much help, guess I'll go to bed...MPH

Marty, In the photo (sorry about the poor quality), the bolts are installed at 12 & 6. Didn't have time to work on it again, but now I'm thinking the cover may be an eccentric to adjust auger closer to housing to compensate for wear(?). Guess I'll have to visit the Kubota dealer............

Hi Herb, Here is a discussion for the Kubota tractors. Dad has a Kubota and uses the discussion boards there. http://www.tractorbynet.com/

Well, I got a copy of the Kubota snowthrower parts. Here’s a few reasons to buy American. Kubota auger bearings (14) are $75 each compared to Simplicity (9) at $20 each. The Kubota shaft bearing (2) is a Fafnir #42LST that is propriety to Kubota and cannot be cross-referenced. Of course, I plan to do some modifications and use off the shelf parts. But, look close at the designs. There are some significant differences. The Simplicity drive chain is outside the auger housing and protected from ice and snow. The Kubota chain is inside the auger housing and runs in ice and snow. The Simplicity auger sprocket is separate. The Kubota auger sprocket is part of the auger assembly. Sprockets are a normal wear item.

Scott, thanks for the link. I did post my question there, but solved the problem in the meantime. The inside of the cover has a short hex shaft that fits into the auger bearing. That's what was rusted and sticking. My second suspicion above was correct. Notice the hex shaft is on an eccentric. By relocating the cover holes, a worn auger can be moved closer to the housing (neat idea). [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/cover-seq.jpg[/img]