Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New toys

thedaddycat

Well, I got the 7114 and what we think is an old Massey today. The 14 HP Kohler has new piston and rings but was not entirely assembled(shrouding still off) nor was it installed. I have a 16HP Briggs twin that I may put into it. Has anyone done that repower and could give me a few tips?

This is my first Hydro tractor. Actually both are hydros, but I think I'll make a self propelled log splitter out of the Massey.

I also got a stack of manuals, so now I have more reference material available to share with all of you if needed. Here is a list of the manuals. Repair Manuals: Rear Engine Riding Mowers(all models) Vol. 1,2,&3 Broadmore Lawn and Garden Tractor Mfg. No. 489,577,765&898 4040-4041, Pow'r Max 9020 Vol. 1 and 2 (of 2) 7000 Book 1,2,and 3 (of 3) Models 4000 and 6000 In-line Hydrostatic Unit U-Type Hydrostatic Unit Assembly & Disassembly Vickers Hydrostatic Transmission

Operator's Manuals: Model 3005 Model3008 System 4000 (4008,4108,4208) Model 4108 Models 6008 and 6010 System 7013H Model 7013S Model 7016H 7000-6 Speed Series(10&16HP) Model 9020 30" Tiller 36" Rotary Tiller Heavy Duty 38" Tiller 48" Rotary Tiller 46" Snow Plow & Dozer Blade 46" Sickle Bar(cable lift model, 1690030) 36" Snow Thrower(1690169) 36" & 42" Snow Thrower(1690033&1690032) 52" Snow Thrower(1600225) 3-Point Hitch(1600220) 42" Grader Blade(1690038) 42" & 48" Rotary Mowers(1690271&1690272) 60" Rotary Mower(1690074) Rear Grass Catchers(1690180,1690229) Engine Driven Vacuum Collector

and various non-tractor equipment like tillers mower and blower. Not a bad day at all.

Looking through the new stash of manuals, it looks like it's a Sundstrand. The Vickers looks like it only has 5 fins on top of it. I guess I'll have to start learning about hydraulic systems now......

Daddycat, the twin cylinder L-head Briggs was discussed some time back. The biggest problem with installing that engine, is that the crankshaft height is roughly 1/2" higher than the Briggs or Kohler. Don't think the flex discs on the driveshaft would handle that much mis-alignment. Even if they would, my opinion is that too much stress would be applied to the input shaft and bearings of the BGB. Could be done if the engine mounting area were cut out and lowered by the correct amount. Pat

Here is a picture of the vickers hydro tranny. I have been thinking I want one of them sunstrand trannyed beast. What model number tractors had them? Thanks

Kirk Congrats on the manual find. I have 10 or 12 hard copy manuals, I also have 110 manuals saved in my computer. The one I use the most is the Belt and Blade ready reference. I use it to cross ref. model numbers between simplicity, Allis and Massy. It also has MFG#"s for all the tractors and attachments.

Kirk, looking at the older tractor, I am confused (normal for me). I have never seen a Massey that looked like that. The rear half and the mower deck looks a lot like a David Bradley/Sears Suburban. The dash and forward looks like nothing I have seen before. Pat

If thats an old Massey Ferguson, you might want to think twice about carving it up. Around my area Old masseys are a serious collectors item. I've had people bid MF8's with shot engines and missing parts past the $250 mark......

It doesn't look like any Massey I have ever seen. I think it's an old Case painted red. From the photo you posted, it appears to have an oil cooler rad at the front, hydraulic lines and hoses, and a hydraulic pump bolted to the engine. Case went with a true hydraulic system, not a hydrostatic. Very, very strong tractors. Problem is that the dash doesn't look like any of the Case tractors I have come across, but then they made a lot of different models over the years. Pat

DaddyCat, I just got back from my deployment with FEMA and found that the ATF in the cylinder of my K301S did not help with the oil-burning problem. Would you be interested in selling that 14HP kohler if you do the conversion? I would be interested in buying. Dan Howland 888-881-1478

Heres a pic of the sears suburban, couple of more at the YT site. [url]http://www.antiquetractors.com/cgi-bin/photo_view.cgi?w=gphotos&mode=All&Parameter=sears&SelectParameter=All&firstrec=31&lastrec=45&StateParam=AllStates[/url] [img]http://www.antiquetractors.com/gphotos/6731.jpg[/img]

Kirk, Your hydro is the same as the one on my AC716. I didn't like it much at first, but it grows on you. For some uses I like a hydro better, for others, I like the 3 speed. The hydro is great for manipulating my 14 foot tandem axle trailer in and out of my back yard. With the heavy load of the trailer, the hydro can be made ot barely crawl, making it easy to back the trailer into tight spots. The 16 twin can be installed in that chassis. My choice would be the 14 Kohler. There will not be enough difference in power to warrant the headache of making that swap. Kohlers are sometimes underrated. Sizewise a single cylinder(older cast iron types) 14 Hp Kohler is the same displacement as a single cylinder 16Hp B/S.

I had this post all ready and it hung up on me when I tried to post it..... GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR........ Oh well, here it goes again!!!! This tractor is Mfg. No. 1690723, Serial 01020. I don't know which other ones came with this tranny instead of the Vickers. I set the Kholer next to the 16 HP twin Briggs, and sure enough the Briggs crank is about 1/2" higher. BUT.........

The front coupling doesn't look like any of the flex discs I've seen before. It's a LOT thicker, almost 1 1/2" thick, and seems like it's made of some type of a rubber compound.

Now here's an idea I really like! This decal under the hood has all the belts listed for tranny drives, mowers, blowers, tillers, and vacuum collectors.

Let me explain why I called the other tractor a Massey. At first I was told it was a Simplicity that a previous owner had somehow put a Sears hood on. One look and I knew it wasn't, so we started looking a little harder trying to figure out what it was. Here's what Dave(the seller) and I found when we were looking the "Massey" over. It is MFC inside a diamond cast into the front axle, which Dave said looks like the Massey logo to him. It was the only thing we found, so that's what we went with.

If you look at the pic of the left side, the lever with the golf ball on it is the clutch to engage the mower which is driven from the front PTO. The lever with the black knob is to control the hydro drive speed. The short handle in front of and below the seat is for selecting forward or reverse I think, but am not sure. On the right side, the long handle with the white grip is to raise and lower the deck. There is a small foot operated lever that lifts up the tab that locks the lift into the slots on the quadrant, much like the thumb button on a Simplicity. The rear wheels are four bolt while the fronts are held on by hair pin clips. The gas tank is behind the seat and there's a fuel pump belowhe carb. The hydro tank is below the gas tank form what I can tell.

The pump is directly driven by the engine and there is a radiator mounted in the front. That's why I was thinking of using it for a splitter, with a "real" hydraulic system you have pressure any time the engine is running. Plus it would be cooled and filtered.

Here's the splitter with the little Briggs that I'd use if I do the conversion from tractor to self propelled splitter. If I put the 16 twin into the 7114, the Koler will be available but I have to finish the 2012 project first.

Maynard, I think they are all Simplicity numbers. The decal is inside the 7114 hood, sure makes a handy reference though, doesn't it?. Here's a closer pic, still a little fuzzy though...... That's the only complaint about this camera, close-ups aren't that great.

Kirk, That decal with the belt #'s on it are still avaliable from Simplicity the part# is 1666680. The flex coupler means that it is a "later model" according to my 7100 hydrostatic parts manual.

hey daddycat-nice haul.whatcha gonna do with all them tillers?(curious what one would do on my sovereign,although I have a case hydraulic on the ingersoll).that 7114 reminds me of my old 7112 6spd.took me a while to get used to a hydro,but overall better and more power-(sure like the hydro lift on the new one!).did somebody say splitter? just got this 2-way,and man is it ever great! (hope I don't get in trouble for putting some ingersoll stuff on here!).dogman (PS;am I downloading these pics wrong?-thanks to whoever is fixing them!). [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/dogman/spltr5.JPG[/img] HeHe