Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone with EZ Weights experience?

hufhouse

I got my EZ Weights today and I was all excited to install them this evening. I went to Walmart and bought the correct weight-lifting plates. When I pushed the 7117H out into the middle of the garage, I noticed that the axle extends out past the wheel about 3", so I can't install the EZ Weights correctly. Their website says that if that happens, you can add washers to shim the EZ Weight out past the axle. However, it seems like 3" is a lot to "shim." Does anyone have experience with this? I e-mailed EZ Weights Customer Support, but they are closed until tomorrow. I'm going out to put the tire chains on and tinker a little bit. I'll check the website in an hour or so and see if anyone has had the same problem. By the way, I'm really happy with the quality of the EZ Weights system, I just don't know what to do about the right axle.

Guy Thats what your going to have to do. Instead of washers use pipe nipples that your bolts will go thu and the length you need. You can get these at any hardware store in the length you need in 1/2 inch increments. Use as is or buy longer and cut the threads off with a pipe cutter or hacksaw. They might be able to cut them to the correct length at the store for you. With the shims in place and the bolts tight you shouldn't have any problem. You can also put the bolts thu put the nut on tighten it up.Then place the spacer on then the cross bar for the easy weights then another nut.

Wow, I must be smarter than I thought! While I was out putting the chains on, it occurred to me that I could use 3" galvanized pipe to extend out past the axle. I just wasn't sure whether 3" was too far to extend, but I'm glad you feel I won't have a problem. BTW, the EZ weight on the left side looks really cool. What an ingenius little system. I wish I would have thought of it! Hey, get this!! It's almost 9:00 at night, and I just got a reply from EZ weights customer service. They recommended that I use 5/8" hex nuts as spacers. They add about 1/2" each. I'll have to compare the cost of six hex nuts to the cost of a 3" . Anyway, they think that it won't be a problem since I am not using a huge amount of weight.

I think I would use threaded rod for the bolts. Put a nut on each side of the wheel and lock the rods solid. Install the pipe spacers and lock pipe with a nut. Install the weight brackets and lock with another nut. This way, they cannot possibly work loose. You may also want the same spacers on both wheels so that the weights are balanced on both sides.