Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12 HP Briggs Governer springs

Magoo

I Have a 12 HP Briggs on a 3012 I am just wondering if It is supposed to have two springs on the governor like it shows in the picture Mine only has the one between #5&6 On the lever. And If so where can i get one. And what ill effect would it have on performance. This is the origanal engine. Thanks Guy?

Hi Guy, my 12 does have the two springs. They are both the almost the same. The one on the left seems to help push the gov. back into the down position. I have seen them in the Foley-Belsaw catalogues...

My question exactly. I've been wondering the same thing. I have a briggs 9HP Horizontal cast iron. But it only has one spring but I think it is in the wrong hole also,seems as though it wants to hunt alot when at half throttle Anybody have a diagram?

This is where I got the information on these engines. Look down the right hand side of the page for B&S. Very helpful for me. I build log homes. So These tractors are just my hobby & and Back savers.^ [url][/url]http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/operation.htm Guy

The spring on the right side of the govenor arm (as per Guys, blow-up), fits into a little clip on the back of the arm, that keeps it from pushing out, and it seems to help push the arm back down. When I first looked at it, I wondered how can this spring be doing anything, the tension seems to be going in the wrong direction for such a light spring. But, it obviously is doing a little work. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/magoo/300401%20to%20300424.jpg[/img]

I went to the dealer today with some numbers for him so he could look up the spring. He said the one in between number 5 and 6 is just for governed idle. But he had the one I needed. So Thanks for the help. Guy