Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4000 series trans question

RobK

I have a 4111 Regent with a 3speed trans and I'm wondering if anyone has experence with my issue. The top drive pulley on the trans wobbles. I haven't pulled it apart to investigate further and cannot see whats loose, the pulley on the input shaft or the input shaft in the trans housing? The trans still works ok but it jerks alot when releasing the clutch (because it's taking up slack). Yes the pulley setscrew is tight. Anyone with this problem? Thanks Rob.?

First of all Welcome to the club, I have seen these that had tight set screws but the woodruf key had been chewed up and was run like it for a while and messed up the groove that the key goes into on the pulley.I had a machine shop cut a new keyway and set screw tapped into the other side of the pulley.

It could also be the input bearings are worn. Release the belt tension by holding down the clutch pedal either with someone else sitting on the tractor or by tying it down. Carefully watch what moves as you rock the trans pulley back and forth. You need to get as close as possible to see so you will also need to remove the mower if it is attached.

Thanks for the replys. I tried to look at the input area but its very tight in there. The pulley is large and tight to the trans and you can't remove the pulley with the trans in either! It should last through the winter, I'll have to adress it in the spring....which leads me to my next post..........Thanks,Rob