Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowthrower belt

upstatemike

The 712H w/ blade did a good job with this heavy snow but I want to try the snowthrower. I came up with a belt # 174224 off the site. Is this correct and can anyone recommend a belt type that will last?? The local Simplicity dealer doesn't have an OEM replacement and the Dayco goes for around $15. Sound right??? Thanks

Mike, Good luck with the snowthrower. I wish I had a blade for mine. I did my driveway last night and again this morning. Last night I'd have been better of with a pump from a fire truck! This morning was a little better, but boy, if you want to move that heavy stuff you'd better have a lot of HP. John

John, You guys down there looked like you were on the wet edge of the storm. We ended up with 6 - 7 inches in the hills east of Albany. Hopefully it won't warm up too much and we'll get the season started right. Another cold snap and we'll be on the lake by Christmas.

Mike The Simplicity Belt# 174224 66.1" long type HA is the right belt. The after market belts will work in a pinch but won't last. The Simplicity belt will out last 3 or four of the aftermarket belts maybe more. They are a little bit more expensive but worth it.

Thanks, Maynard. I ordered the Simplicity belt on your advice. After a closer inspection, I noticed the bearing in the v pully was seized, but the pully still spun, so I ordered both the v and flat pulleys also, since they were both warped. I'll give it a try for the next storm, which will hopefully be soon.

Mike, when you put it back together with the new pulleys check for alignment. The pivot arm on the spring loaded pulley can easily get bent on these 700/7000 series front clutch snowblowers. This probably happens when you are sliding them around for storage or mounting. My 712H had a OEM belt that lasted for 15 years. Then one fall it ate the belt in 5 mins. I thought well that lasted for 15 years put on a new OEM belt. The new one lasted 5 mins. as did a $4.00 belt. Then I looked at the pulley alignment... bent things until they looked like what should be a good alignment (hard to tell when everything is running at angles)... and I have since been running a cheap $4.00 belt for 5 years now.

Mike, Better get moving! I need to change my sprockets to get the auger speed up. The weather channel has issued a winter storm warning. By Saturday night they are calling for 6"-8" of snow. I need to get the right sprocket tomorrow and get it back together. BTW, the OEM belt, is it an "A" section or "B" section. I think mine is aftermarket and too narrow. All the pulleys could handle a wider belt.