Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint Question about powder orange

tractorfreak3

I have used both Deep Orange and Powder Orange. On the 3310, which had been painted generic red at one time, the Deep Orange seemed to be a better match with the original paint under brackets and other shielded areas. On the 2012 restoration, Powder Orange looked closer to what was under the footboard on the bottom of the frame. After 30, 40 or more years, matching paint to the original is iffy at best due to things like fading, weathering, and repainting.

Powder Orange is the correct color for the 700/900 series ACs. Deep Orange was used on the 3300,3400,7000 maybe even on the 7100 ( Simplicities (though they seem to be slightly lighter in color). BTW the 7790 Diesel was the same color as ACs, Powder orange, with orange frame.

Tim, are you talking about the 60's Simplicity 700 or the 1974+ AC 700 series. The older Simplicities were pretty "red" and not much orange. I do not know the color for them.

a simplicity 700. from all the pictures i've seen they look red. but this tractor is pretty orange.it must have been repianted? once i degreased the gear box its definatly reddish orange. so what is the correct color?

I painted the deck on my 66 landlord powder orange,the fresh paint stood out for awhile,but you can't tell it know.Seems to have a cureing period, after about 2-3 months

Tim, The Deep Orange is the color you want. I usually give it two or three coats while wet sanding in between coats with a finish sanding of 2000 grit wet sandpaper. After it has dried about 2 weeks I use a paint cleaner that you would use on cars, then a good wax of 2 coats. It should be very protected after this. Oh oh, just told my secret. Kris